Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's DAOS 2.4 Storage Engine Released

Phoronix: Intel's DAOS 2.4 Storage Engine Released

While Intel divested its storage business and Intel Optane was sadly discontinued, one of the interesting open-source software projects from its storage efforts has been DAOS, the Distributed Asynchronous Object Storage engine. Version 2.4 of the DAOS software-defined object store designed for high-speed storage was released this past week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can someone explain to mere mortals what is this useful for? Please...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Can someone explain to mere mortals what is this useful for? Please...
      To get you to buy more hardware from Intel. You need your Intel NVMes and Intel SSDs connected to your Intel VMD, all of which is sped up with an Intel HW Accelerator. All of that works in the most optimal manner when used in conjunction with an Intel CPU.

Unless you're a sadist, you'll still want an NVIDIA or AMD GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

To get you to buy more hardware from Intel. You need your Intel NVMes and Intel SSDs connected to your Intel VMD, all of which is sped up with an Intel HW Accelerator. All of that works in the most optimal manner when used in conjunction with an Intel CPU.

Unless you're a sadist, you'll still want an NVIDIA or AMD GPU.
        Are you serious? But Intel abandoned Optane.

And SODA Foundation is part of Linux Foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Are you serious? But Intel abandoned Optane.

And SODA Foundation is part of Linux Foundation.
          Only partially.

Except for this release where it's a tech preview, you needed a Xeon and Optane to make full use of it. Since Optane is abandoned, I suppose that they have to support not-Optane.

Storage Class Memory Support:
          • DAOS Servers with 2nd gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors and Intel Optane Persistent Memory 100 Series.
          • DAOS Servers with 3rd gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors and Intel Optane Persistent Memory 200 Series.
          • DAOS Servers without Intel Optane Persistent Memory, using the Metadata-on-SSD (Phase1) code path (Technology Preview)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Only partially.

Except for this release where it's a tech preview, you needed a Xeon and Optane to make full use of it. Since Optane is abandoned, I suppose that they have to support not-Optane.

Storage Class Memory Support:
            • DAOS Servers with 2nd gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors and Intel Optane Persistent Memory 100 Series.
            • DAOS Servers with 3rd gen Intel Xeon Scalable processors and Intel Optane Persistent Memory 200 Series.
            • DAOS Servers without Intel Optane Persistent Memory, using the Metadata-on-SSD (Phase1) code path (Technology Preview)
            So this doesn't seems so interesting.

What's the non-proprietary very fast storage approach?

I suppose this kind of stuff may be used by very heavy number crunching. ML/AI, physics and such.

Seriously. The more I look at Linux Foundation and their sponsored projects, the less I understand them and how Linux is so alive.

• Metadata-on-SSD.
            • dmg pool {exclude|drain|reintegrate} commands
            • Container redundancy level (server, engine).
            • Erasure Coding implementation now uses EC parity rotation.
            • dmg storage led identify command can now be used to visually identify one or more NVMe SSD(s).
            It uses a fuse-based compatibility layer named dfuse because it makes things different It seems a bit similar to stratis, xfs, btrfs, zfs and bcachefs?

Erasure Coding.

And that led feature should possible be easy to implement

Enclosure LED Utilities. Contribute to intel/ledmon development by creating an account on GitHub.

"Intel". I wonder if ledmon and ledctl supports non Intel products
            Last edited by timofonic; 24 September 2023, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X