Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Pi 5 Support Nears The Mainline Linux Kernel

Phoronix: Orange Pi 5 Support Nears The Mainline Linux Kernel

The DeviceTree additions to allow the Orange Pi 5 64-bit ARM single board computer (SBC) to work on the upstream Linux kernel are working their way closer to mainline...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is the Orange Pi 5 Pro included in this?

Comment

I'm glad this is happening. With the Raspberry Pi turning its back to the community to focus on commercial clients, there is desperate need for a good competitor in this area.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        I'm glad this is happening. With the Raspberry Pi turning its back to the community to focus on commercial clients, there is desperate need for a good competitor in this area.
        My change of mind is that arm is now working on the foss drivers for there mali gpu cores. And that the Rockchips are very fast compared to the broadcom soc

Comment

Orange PI 5 is pretty good for a low-power desktop, still very powerfull, I was using it when my PC broke. But in my opinion it gets very hot in their own orangepi branded aluminium case after watching some youtube, can't even hold it in my hands.

Comment

I have to say that the title could be a little bit misleading. A DeviceTree addition to kernel is nowhere near mainline support until the RK3588 support is matured.
            Collabora has a mainline-status matrix and we can see some big parts are still missing in the mainline like the display controller. If you want to have one of these RK3588 based boards now you have to use rockchip's vendor kernel if you want full SoC capability.

Comment

Originally posted by gnattu View Post
              I have to say that the title could be a little bit misleading. A DeviceTree addition to kernel is nowhere near mainline support until the RK3588 support is matured.
              Collabora has a mainline-status matrix and we can see some big parts are still missing in the mainline like the display controller. If you want to have one of these RK3588 based boards now you have to use rockchip's vendor kernel if you want full SoC capability.
              Meanwhile Windows 11 is already running on the OrangePi 5 with proper display output even before Linux supports it in the mainline kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Meanwhile Windows 11 is already running on the OrangePi 5 with proper display output even before Linux supports it in the mainline kernel.
                OrangePi put a dozen developers together to write the Windows drivers, and one guy for the Linux. Part time. Add up the math of developer hours, of course it works in Windows.

Comment

I did think it was sarcastic, then i searched for it and was stunned, there is windows 11 for it. then i looked for the features and see that it was sarcastic.

Windows 11 on Rockchip feature matrix

Get the full desktop experience of Windows on your Raspberry Pi or Rockchip-based single-board computers.

What works:
                  • Single HDMI display output limited at 1080p 60Hz, desktop and apps are software rendered (though video playback is surprisingly smooth at 720p or even 1080p full screen, with minimal tearing and dropped frames)
                    • on ROCK 5B it's the one near the USB-C port.
                  • USB 3 ports (Type-A and Type-C in host mode), including USB boot, networking and other peripherals with ARM64 native drivers.
                    • on ROCK 5B and Orange Pi 5, the top USB 3.0 Type-A port only supports SuperSpeed (3.0) devices (so mouse & keyboard won't work). The other USB 3 ports are limited to 2.0 speeds.
                    • on Indiedroid Nova, both USB 3.0 Type-A ports only support SuperSpeed (3.0) devices. It is possible to connect USB 2.0 / 1.1 devices with an USB-C OTG dongle.
                  • UART serial console for debugging or EMS & SAC.
                  • eMMC Modules with the driver at https://github.com/worproject/Rockch...ivers/releases
                  What doesn't work:
                  • USB 2.0-only ports (depending on how they're wired up internally, for instance the vertically mounted USB 2.0 port on the Orange Pi 5 is shared with USB 3 on the Type-C and so it does work)
                  • Proper CPU frequency scaling. Cores are now set to their maximum frequency (1.8 GHz on little cores, 2.4 GHz on the big ones), but Windows reports lower values.
                  • Some USB 3.0 SATA to USB enclosures or drives using the following chipsets have been reported to not work. Your mileage may vary.
                    • VIA VL711
                  • Everything else (PCIe, SATA, SDIO, GMAC Ethernet, Audio (I2S), Display management (incl. DP alt mode), GPU acceleration, NPU, video decoders, GPIO, PWM, SARADC, I2C, SPI, etc.)
                  Last edited by Nille; 19 August 2023, 08:37 AM.

Comment

It's using the efi framebuffer from a work in progress EDK2 port. This does not mean that Windows does have "proper display output" because the options is limited and you can also use EFI to boot linux if you want, but having a framebuffer that barely gives you anything on screen is nowhere near "proper display output".

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

OrangePi put a dozen developers together to write the Windows drivers, and one guy for the Linux. Part time. Add up the math of developer hours, of course it works in Windows.
                    Wait, what? Is ANY part of the RK3588's subsystem EVER had a full time engineer to provide a driver for Windows? Never heard that. I heard that it did for Android, but not for Windows. By the way it does not work under windows better, I have two RK3588 based boards and I can say that. The Windows is more or less a "proof of concept" state and not useable for anything practical. If you don't want to miss around with the software support mess you just flash Android and you are done.

Comment

Working...
                    X