Linux 6.5 Adding Initial Support For USB4 v2, Intel Barlow Ridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amxfonseca View Post
    So you never used one or two external displays?
    I've got two right now. So are we hitting these speeds already, or are they future speeds? I'm reading through the specs, USB specs are very confusing.

Comment

I guess universities will soon offer USB connection operator courses, and people going through 5 years of training might be able to connect too devices with the right cable.

But to say it clear:
      The number of USB cables lying around here becomes worrisome. 5 Different connections, variations required if you need either power or simple connection or high speed connection or display, which special configuration in the BIOS if you need to reserve some of your capacity for the display ...

Did we go back in time and reinvent RS-232 here?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        So I know that Google and Facebook and Amazon need 80 Gbps speeds, because they have to move around a metric crap-ton of "personalized advertising data".

However, what in the world am I going to need 80 Gbps speeds for? On a USB cable?
        there are a couple uses off hand, obviously you have egpus + displays, but you also have hubs that support modern high-end storage + egpu and display, pro-audio (this can take up a large amount of bandwidth since you can have many raw audio streams)​. and then you have things like pro-video injest, since professional video data usage shows no end the massively bloated files (did you know that compressed raw video is patented somehow -_- it's actually really hard to do without infringing on the patent). needless to say, there is a large amount of use for USB4 80gbps. most consumers might not need it, but there are hundreds of niches where it suits very well.

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
        Just finished upgrading to USB-3 cables...

... now have to toss all those away and buy new USB-4 cables.
        a good chunk of USB3 type-C cables will be compatible with USB4​, so it's worth at least holding off. not sure about usb4 80gbps thugh

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

a good chunk of USB3 type-C cables will be compatible with USB4​, so it's worth at least holding off. not sure about usb4 80gbps thugh
          ... you're not helping my hint of sarcasm any!

Comment

PCIe extended encapsulation
            PCIeee

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
              gotta love the media

back to the article though. I'm still waiting for a USB4.0 addon card for my PC LOL
              Probably won't see one. My USB4 port is a 16 lane PCIe Gen 4 affair.

Lets face it, the need for "active" USB cables ($) to support the data rate (80Gbps) will reduce the distance to probably a meter.

I am still trying to saturate my USB4 port......there isn't a hub, port multiplier or dock (TB or otherwise) made that can generate that much data to transfer, at least in a consumer sense.

Hey horse, go back and get the cart you left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

Probably won't see one. My USB4 port is a 16 lane PCIe Gen 4 affair.

Lets face it, the need for "active" USB cables ($) to support the data rate (80Gbps) will reduce the distance to probably a meter.

I am still trying to saturate my USB4 port......there isn't a hub, port multiplier or dock (TB or otherwise) made that can generate that much data to transfer, at least in a consumer sense.

Hey horse, go back and get the cart you left behind.
                I have a couple of really good uses for it, predominately myself, I do a lot of VM stuff, so it would be nice to consolidate a single VM down to a single USB hub/Cord, (thanks to some cards support DP in for video passthrough) it can be a really nifty solution, and I use a lot of bandwidth so I can see myself easily saturating 20 approaching 40 gbps

Comment

Originally posted by edwaleni View Post

No idea where you got that from, existing USB4 cables up to one meter are passive will work at the new speeds. Beyond one meter you always needed an active cable, nothing really changes in terms of cable pricing.
                  Last edited by az200; 06 July 2023, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X