Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    gotta love the media
    I dont blame the USBIF for confusing naming, it was never confusing to begin with. blame the media for not following the marketing naming that USBIF put out. Phoronix gets a pass since it is a tech focused oriented to quite tech literate. but normie media should be ashamed with themselves.
    It's done because it allowed advertising USB 3.2 for regular USB 3.0 ports IIRC? Or at least I think that was an initial marketing play, and later you might get more clarity about gen AxB whatever instead. USB4 + speed is nice, but it's also not as clear for other features like Display port 2.x?

Then there's USB-PD which I guess is kept separate to not complicate that further or lock more power to more premium USB4 chipsets only? (AFAIK we can currently get 100W USB-PD charing, whereas 240W is the max supported with the latest USB-PD standard)

Also casual consumers tend to have a better time with version numbers than keeping track of human friendly name + numbers. Wifi was probably a good example of that, and now these days we have that more sequential versioning (which still varies similar to USB in specs / implementation).

Comment

Originally posted by fitzie View Post
      I want a magsafe version of usb type-c ...

Like this?;

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
        exactly, but native, so it is flush to the item.

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

It's done because it allowed advertising USB 3.2 for regular USB 3.0 ports IIRC? Or at least I think that was an initial marketing play, and later you might get more clarity about gen AxB whatever instead. USB4 + speed is nice, but it's also not as clear for other features like Display port 2.x?

Then there's USB-PD which I guess is kept separate to not complicate that further or lock more power to more premium USB4 chipsets only? (AFAIK we can currently get 100W USB-PD charing, whereas 240W is the max supported with the latest USB-PD standard)

Also casual consumers tend to have a better time with version numbers than keeping track of human friendly name + numbers. Wifi was probably a good example of that, and now these days we have that more sequential versioning (which still varies similar to USB in specs / implementation).
          usb revisions never mattered to the consumer, USBIF has pushed the "Superspeed" lingo since they came out with usb 3.0. things like USB 3.1 and 3.2 were never supposed to be shoved down the consumers throat, you have USB superspeed and Type-c designations. USB-PD is part of the type-c spec. NOT usb 3.whatever or USB4 (those are protocol specs, Type-C is the cable spec).

alt modes are a bit of another story, USB 3.2 etc. and USB4 doesn't really specify the support for alt-modes (though some enforcement exists in USB4 im not sure how strict it is) so saying usb 3.0 gen whatever doesn't really help clarify things like DP support.

Most consumers are equally confused about the wifi naming scheme, likewise, I have never seen someone have an issue keeping track of 5gbps vs 10gbps when trying to decide which one is better. so not sure where this sentiment comes from.

Comment

I would have been fine with USB 4.1 or whatever, and maybe an optional speed number tacked on. This is clearly sliding into lunacy all over again.

Comment

Just finished upgrading to USB-3 cables...

... now have to toss all those away and buy new USB-4 cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

USB-PD is part of the type-c spec. NOT usb 3.whatever or USB4 (those are protocol specs, Type-C is the cable spec).
                This caught some time ago, my smartphone wasn't charging at the speed that I was expecting, the culprit was my USB-A to USB-C cable, when I changed it to native USB-C it started to charging fast 😅

Comment

So I know that Google and Facebook and Amazon need 80 Gbps speeds, because they have to move around a metric crap-ton of "personalized advertising data".

However, what in the world am I going to need 80 Gbps speeds for? On a USB cable?

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    So I know that Google and Facebook and Amazon need 80 Gbps speeds, because they have to move around a metric crap-ton of "personalized advertising data".

However, what in the world am I going to need 80 Gbps speeds for? On a USB cable?
                    one speedy uplink cable, big-ass external hub.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                      So you never used one or two external displays?

Comment

Working...
                      X