HP Business-Class PCs To Provide Hardware Sensors Reporting With Linux 6.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP Business-Class PCs To Provide Hardware Sensors Reporting With Linux 6.5

Phoronix: HP Business-Class PCs To Provide Hardware Sensors Reporting With Linux 6.5

For those running HP or HP-Compaq business-class systems whether they be desktops or laptops, improved hardware sensor reporting is expected for the upcoming Linux 6.5 kernel thanks to a new HP WMI Sensors driver set to be mainlined...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really looking forward to finally have this, I wonder how back it'll go with models support, I still have an Elitebook 755 G2 laying around...

Comment

Great!

I still won't buy anything HP branded after the last time I tried to purchase a (very expensive) HP laptop from their online store and they accepted the order, then cancelled it 48 hours later (minutes before the shipping deadline) with no explanation or justification, but left my credit card charge tied up for five more weeks. And every time I tried to contact them, I was told that the decision was made by a non-customer facing department and they would not explain their reasoning. And then hung up on.

So the money went to Dell instead. Who sent out an engineer within 24 hours of the backlight in the screen dying within warranty.

Even after I got the charge cancelled, I then spent weeks arguing with my credit card company about that charge (because the charge and cancellation bridged a payment deadline) so HP wasted a lot of my time, and while they didn't actually cost me money (because my credit card company are reasonable, they just take their time checking everything and want evidence) it terms of time and stress, it was costly (I was writing my Ph.D. thesis at the time) so the least I can do is never give them another penny.

Which is a shame, as the nx7000 which was my first HP laptop was an amazing piece of kit and served both my and a friend (who needed a computer but couldn't afford one for varying reasons) well for far longer than I expected it to (it was nearly 7 years old when it finally gave up due to a toddler having an accident with an orange juice cup...)

edit: Bitter? Me? Nooooo...

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
        Great!

I still won't buy anything HP branded after the last time I tried to purchase a (very expensive) HP laptop from their online store and they accepted the order, then cancelled it 48 hours later (minutes before the shipping deadline) with no explanation or justification, but left my credit card charge tied up for five more weeks. And every time I tried to contact them, I was told that the decision was made by a non-customer facing department and they would not explain their reasoning. And then hung up on.

So the money went to Dell instead. Who sent out an engineer within 24 hours of the backlight in the screen dying within warranty.

Even after I got the charge cancelled, I then spent weeks arguing with my credit card company about that charge (because the charge and cancellation bridged a payment deadline) so HP wasted a lot of my time, and while they didn't actually cost me money (because my credit card company are reasonable, they just take their time checking everything and want evidence) it terms of time and stress, it was costly (I was writing my Ph.D. thesis at the time) so the least I can do is never give them another penny.

Which is a shame, as the nx7000 which was my first HP laptop was an amazing piece of kit and served both my and a friend (who needed a computer but couldn't afford one for varying reasons) well for far longer than I expected it to (it was nearly 7 years old when it finally gave up due to a toddler having an accident with an orange juice cup...)

edit: Bitter? Me? Nooooo...
        You have every reason to be bitter. I would too if I had got trough such headache. Companies only change when misbehavior affects their annual reports.
        Last edited by M@GOid; 05 June 2023, 09:30 AM.

Comment

I have a bunch of HP 6005 SFF at my workplace. The temperature sensors always showed wrong readings, like CPU temps bellow ambient. And those machines have a cooling system that is adequate at best.

Comment

Nice. I hope this supports the Z440/Z640/Z840 workstations. That was the first generation to support LVFS/fwupd. They are dirt cheap these days and still nice machines.

Comment

It's not just their printers that's earned HP the new moniker "Huge Pile". Their PC build quality has been pretty questionable in the consumer and small business lines. The only decent one I've seen in the past several years was the Elite Books, but the one I own is several years old by now. As is stands now their all-in-ones are very likely to die of premature component failure because the Laws of Thermodynamics are a cruel mistress. Apparently HP engineers aren't familiar with it. Omen laptops have poorly designed hinges with flimsy anchoring. They're often in the shop because the flimsy plastic they're anchored to easily breaks. They also have similar heat problems as the all-in-ones. I'd never buy HP anything. Their glory days are long over, since before Carly Fiorina almost nose dived the company. All they live for is to screw over just one more customer with DRM'd ink cartridges and poorly designed PCs.

No, HPE is not the same thing as HP. Hewlett Packard Enterprise spun off after Carly took over then killed the instruments division (which was a damned shame because HP digital scopes were great products). She could be blamed for the culture that culminated in the current bricked printer fiasco because she's the one that started turning HP into a printer ink cash cow. The same cow they may have just poisoned... at least one can hope.
              Last edited by stormcrow; 06 June 2023, 01:37 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

So, running 6.5 now and the new driver doesn't recognize any sensors on my Elitebook 755 G5...

Comment

Working...
                X