No announcement yet.

Orange Pi 5 Is A Great & Very Fast Alternative To The Raspberry Pi 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the RK3588S SoC support armhf/armv7l natively? One reason I use the RPI4B is to build armv7l software natively...

Comment

There's a lot of confusion in the article about core counts and configuration. It's four A76, four A55. Not 8xA76. Not 4xA65 either, which it says at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
        Nice, I suppose. I just wish I could find someone addressing the two niches I need budget-friendly things for:
        • Ingredients for making retro adapters like the PiSCSI (SCSI for vintage macs), PiStorm (Amiga accelerator), etc.
        • An analogue to the 75ยข STM8 boards, $2 STM32 boards, and $5 ESP32 boards on Aliexpress, but capable of running Linux (i.e. the dirt-cheapest thing that I can build stuff for using networking code not written to support bare-metal targets... running regular Debian for easy long-term security fixes if at all possible)
        How about the Pine Ox64 or the Sipeed M1s dock? They're $8 to $10. Linux on them is in its very early days, but there's a good effort being put into it.

Regarding the other reply suggesting the Rpi zero board all I can say is *good luck buying them*. If a place has one, they will only sell you *one* and shipping more than doubles the cost. No thanks. I will not design anything based on a board that people can't source.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
          I've installed an M.2 NVME drive in mine (the M.2 slot, if not used for wifi/bt, supports both NVME and SATA--but you need to flash a firmware specifically for the SATA version). One PCI-E v2.0 link isn't all that exciting, but it beats USB for latency and the bandwidth is fine.
          If you have wifi/bt you can't have M.2 slot?
          That is a limitation for me..

Does the sound works?
          What quirks have you find to the moment on that board?
          I'm curious why the OpenSSL SHA512 test wasn't more in the favor of the Opi5. It has the hash acceleration instructions which should have showed a much larger performance boost.
          Probably the software was not compiled with support for it..

Comment

How about the Pine Ox64 or the Sipeed M1s dock? They're $8 to $10. Linux on them is in its very early days, but there's a good effort being put into it.
            The buffalolabs bl808 seems very nice to me, and seems a good way to go riscv already..it integrates wifi/BLE/zigbee radios inside!!
            2 cores, and the power consumption is around that of a arm cortexF4, impressive!!!

However the software side is nasty, and the Bluetooth/Zigbee stacks are closed source, at least for now..
            But the situation is improving..
            Regarding the other reply suggesting the Rpi zero board all I can say is *good luck buying them*. If a place has one, they will only sell you *one* and shipping more than doubles the cost. No thanks. I will not design anything based on a board that people can't source.
            I agree that Raspberry Pi, is not completely open-source.
            I brought rpi1v1.0 but later followed for other options, that are really open-source..but we also need to say that this other options sometimes have poor software support.

However at least, they publish their designs, and we see each time more software support for this alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by woife View Post
              The SoC will heat up the small heat sink faster than the small heat sink can pass the heat to the air, so the cooling effect won't last very long, maybe a few minutes ... I did some measurements when I created my Raspberry Pi-based Recalbox system, and I found that adding one of those cheap small fans already makes a huuuuuuge difference compared to just the heat sink alone.
              Agree for benchmarks you need active cooling..
              At same point heat starts to destroy performance..since the cpu is scaled down, due to temps..

Comment

Ooh. Do want the 32GB one with an NVMe SSD. Actually, more like five of them, then I can more easily do some testing. Shame I can't find the 32GB one here... and the 16GB and lower ones are really, really expensive!

Again, the SBC curse strikes, too: for the price of a testing setup, I could get an x86_64 system and CUDA-capable GPU which would knock the socks off even a larger cluster of these.

Comment

Originally posted by BillBroadley View Post
                  I have this one, pretty awesome widget. I recommend the cnc machined metal case for an extra $20.
                  I have the R2S, but the thing heats a lot, like crazy...with the system in standby, I almost can't touch the metallic case..in the summer.
                  Just Imagine with it running..
                  I tried everything I could to bring the rk3328, down, but the heat is always there, and I think its because they haven't chosen a good PMU, or some weird thing..
                  RK3328 is also known to heat like crazy..and in a small board with a PMU on the other side...heat is there..

Another thing that pissed me, was the rtl8153b(usb3.0-to-ethernet ), I ported the Rockchip driver for USB3.0, and maybe the problem is there..
                  I did tests to my NAS with iperf3, and at some point in time, the ethernet rtl8152 linux driver resets, and apply a random macc address...puff, I needed to go back and force the same mac on reset..just crazy.
                  And this problem can only be noticed in long bandwidth traffic, lets say 10-20 Gigabytes of data saturating the interface.

There are some people that just give up on usb3.0, and just tried the sunxi usb driver...but that only works in mode pio..
                  I never did tests with this driver, and afaik, it don't support usb3.0.

I would like to know if your has low temps, I mean if is cool the metalic case..?
                  Have you done network bandwidth traffic tests, with long duration?

For what I understand nanopi dropped the usb-to-ethernet adapter and went to pcie-to-ethernet, nanoPIR5 already has pcie-to-ethernet adapter..

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Nice, I suppose. I just wish I could find someone addressing the two niches I need budget-friendly things for:
                    • An analogue to the 75ยข STM8 boards, $2 STM32 boards, and $5 ESP32 boards on Aliexpress, but capable of running Linux (i.e. the dirt-cheapest thing that I can build stuff for using networking code not written to support bare-metal targets... running regular Debian for easy long-term security fixes if at all possible)
                    Don't wait more...go riscv with bl808..
                    However it only supports 64mb of internal Ram, and I don't know if you can add more externally.

Comment

I really hope the Raspberry Pi folks are paying attention, because this is likely going to prove that there's big demand for a premium line of their product, even if it costs more. Most companies use that pricing power to create a line that funds the lower-end options.

I don't want to wait for a Raspberry Pi 5 that everyone can afford, I want to pay $25-50 more than market to get a solid SBC I can trust NOW, and I want that to forge the financial path for the schools and hobbyists who only need half the horsepower for $75 in six months.

Comment

Working...
                      X