No announcement yet.

Orange Pi 5 Is A Great & Very Fast Alternative To The Raspberry Pi 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice, I suppose. I just wish I could find someone addressing the two niches I need budget-friendly things for:
    • Ingredients for making retro adapters like the PiSCSI (SCSI for vintage macs), PiStorm (Amiga accelerator), etc.
    • An analogue to the 75ยข STM8 boards, $2 STM32 boards, and $5 ESP32 boards on Aliexpress, but capable of running Linux (i.e. the dirt-cheapest thing that I can build stuff for using networking code not written to support bare-metal targets... running regular Debian for easy long-term security fixes if at all possible)

Comment

What about the power consumption, though?

Comment

if only they were a bit cheaper, I could actually reccomend these as little computers for basic use

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
          Michael

There's an ARM64 version of Geekbench, it would be great if you posted its results.
          The most gamed "benchmark" in the world? BFD.

Comment

But do we need alternatives that cost more (RPi was $25 or $35) and don't have community support?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              But do we need alternatives that cost more (RPi was $25 or $35) and don't have community support?
              Yes.

The community already exists. It's just another ARM64 board that Linux runs on, especially since R-Pis are near impossible to get due runaway popularity of the brand v. supply and is already outclassed by other similar more recently updated SBCs. I'm already thinking about getting one of these as an alternative to my laptop for ham radio use.

For me, the killer feature on the Oranges is the PCI-e storage interface. The storage issues always turned me off with the R-Pis. SD storage is notoriously unreliable and slow.
              Last edited by stormcrow; 23 March 2023, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

The most gamed "benchmark" in the world? BFD.
                1. That affects only Android phones 2. GB5 was compared and found to closely mirror the results of the industry recognized SPEC benchmark. 3. You can game everything and it doesn't mean the thing is "bad" - it means someone wanted to game it.

Why do people parrot falsehoods or half-truths without even getting into the nitty-gritty details? I've no idea.

Comment

Only thing that I care about? Does it have upstream OpenSource drivers

Comment

It's so sad that Snapdragon ARM chips are wasted in android phones. Why there are no SBC with Snapdragon 8 gen 1 or gen 2? That would be so freaking good. It would replace desktop for many users. They are so much more powerful then this Rockchip RK3588S

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post
                      It's so sad that Snapdragon ARM chips are wasted in android phones. Why there are no SBC with Snapdragon 8 gen 1 or gen 2? That would be so freaking good. It would replace desktop for many users. They are so much more powerful then this Rockchip RK3588S
                      Every year couple of billion phones are shipped. Both Samsung and Motorola provide a desktop style interface for their higher end phones which is good enough for most people. Even a budget phone is faster than the latest Raspberry Pi. The relatively small SBC market is unlikely to be of interest to Qualcomm/Mediatek. This is probably the only market the Chinese SOC players can participate in as they can't compete in the mainstream Android tablet/phone market.

Comment

Working...
                      X