Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.3 Adds ath12k Driver For Qualcomm WiFi 7 Hardware Support

Phoronix: Linux 6.3 Adds ath12k Driver For Qualcomm WiFi 7 Hardware Support

As part of the Linux networking updates for the Linux 6.3 cycle in addition to the BIG TCP support for IPv4 that can yield higher throughput and lower latency, another networking change worth pointing out is the introduction of the "ath12k" driver for Qualcomm WiFi 7 hardware support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope that it will properly show the conection speed / bitrate this time!

Comment

Does anyone know of any good M.2 WiFi card alternatives to Intel, is Qualcomm one of these? My Intel AX200 fitted on the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme is absolute garbage under Linux (major throughput issues) and only works well on Windows. It is a standard modular card that can be swapped out if I want.

Comment

Certain Realtek chips work OK (like 8821xE-based stuff). Mediatek is also quite good if a driver is available. You sure this isn't mini PCIe?

Comment

Originally posted by binarybanana View Post
          Certain Realtek chips work OK (like 8821xE-based stuff). Mediatek is also quite good if a driver is available. You sure this isn't mini PCIe?
          Thanks, it's an M.2 2230 form factor PCIe card. I'm not sure why it's so bad on Linux as on Windows it is an amazing card. The Linux kernel has been upgraded countless times and the firmware is up to date, maybe this is some sort of Manjaro issue as this thing is usually praised for it's Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-tech View Post

Thanks, it's an M.2 2230 form factor PCIe card. I'm not sure why it's so bad on Linux as on Windows it is an amazing card. The Linux kernel has been upgraded countless times and the firmware is up to date, maybe this is some sort of Manjaro issue as this thing is usually praised for it's Linux support.
            That does sound odd. I have both the AX200 (first in my laptop, and then moved to my desktop with a Fenvi FV-102 M.2 to PCIe adapter) and the AX210 (currently in my laptop), and the only issues I had were during the period of time that Intel decided to ignore proper kernel development rules and release drivers with forced dependencies upon unreleased firmware blobs (not all of the issues were directly due to that, but were all in the same time period). I use Solus though, not Manjaro.

Are you on an LTS kernel or a more current kernel branch?

Comment

Originally posted by moriel5 View Post

That does sound odd. I have both the AX200 (first in my laptop, and then moved to my desktop with a Fenvi FV-102 M.2 to PCIe adapter) and the AX210 (currently in my laptop), and the only issues I had were during the period of time that Intel decided to ignore proper kernel development rules and release drivers with forced dependencies upon unreleased firmware blobs (not all of the issues were directly due to that, but were all in the same time period). I use Solus though, not Manjaro.

Are you on an LTS kernel or a more current kernel branch?
              I'm on a recent branch Kernel, but have tested an LTS and the problem persisted.

I might try firing up an Ubuntu LTS live usb to see if the issue translates when I have the time. I strongly suspect that something is borked on Manjaro as many use this model without issues.

I wish Qualcomm would sell their own version as their wifi chipsets built into Android phones are really good in my experience and it would be nice to have more higher performance options.

Comment

I'm on a recent branch Kernel, but have tested an LTS and the problem persisted.

I might try firing up an Ubuntu LTS live usb to see if the issue translates when I have the time. I strongly suspect that something is borked on Manjaro as many use this model without issues.

I wish Qualcomm would sell their own version as their wifi chipsets built into Android phones are really good in my experience and it would be nice to have more higher performance options.
                That would certainly make sense.

By the way, while Qualcomm does not sell their offerings directly to consumer, they do have clients that do so.
                Try searching for the Fn-Link 8291M-PR.

Comment

Does anyone know of any good M.2 WiFi card alternatives to Intel, is Qualcomm one of these? My Intel AX200 fitted on the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme is absolute garbage under Linux (major throughput issues) and only works well on Windows. It is a standard modular card that can be swapped out if I want.
                  Qualcomm WCN6856 (QCNFA765)
                  MediaTek MT7922(RZ616)

Comment

I had an ath10k once, the driver has never been good. I hope this one will be better (but I'll avoid them anyway).

Comment

Working...
                    X