Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquacomputer Quadro Fan Controller Support Coming With Linux 5.20

Phoronix: Aquacomputer Quadro Fan Controller Support Coming With Linux 5.20

Introduced last year in Linux 5.15 was the Aquacomputer driver that started off as a hardware monitoring "HWMON" sensor driver supporting Aquacomputer's D5 Next water-cooling pump. In Linux 5.19 that driver was extended to support the Aquacomputer OCTO fan controller under Linux and now for v5.20 it's extended to support the company's QUADRO fan controller...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I respect and admire the effort that it takes to write drivers for these things, however...

It's $60. The corsair commander pro, which also recently got hwmon support, is $75. You can get entire x86 motherboards for that. The STM32F3DISCOVERY dev board, which has all the peripherals you'd need for this functionality, plus a bunch of stuff a complete product wouldn't... is typically $16 and up to like $50 for short lead times when the supply chain is buggered.

Even with a working driver, I wouldn't feel good about throwing money at the sellers of these comically overpriced gamer-milkers, who didn't even deign to support Linux in the first place. Instead of doing their driver development work for them, wouldn't it be more fruitful to put that effort toward making an open hardware/firmware replacement, and disrupt 'em back to the stone age?

Comment

Well I'm working with what I have, I don't know anything about designing hardware or firmware, nor creating a company, selling and managing, but I do know how to develop a driver for an existing device and take people's contributions in. If there's an open device project and it's hwmon/HID related, then count me in.
      Last edited by aleksamagicka; 30 July 2022, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Man I thought this was a fan for Quadro cards...

Comment

Originally posted by yump View Post
          It's $60. The corsair commander pro, which also recently got hwmon support, is $75.

Even with a working driver, I wouldn't feel good about throwing money at the sellers of these comically overpriced gamer-milkers, [...]
          Comparing Aquacomputer with Corsair is like comparing... I don't know, I can't think of any example that would fit 🙈

Yes, OCTO, QUADRO and the likes are simple fan controllers, but the other watercooling stuff like the Aquaero, the radiators, farbwerk 360, etc are of extraordinary quality. Corsair isn't even near at what Aquacomputer is capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoshi View Post
            Comparing Aquacomputer with Corsair is like comparing... I don't know, I can't think of any example that would fit 🙈

Yes, OCTO, QUADRO and the likes are simple fan controllers, but the other watercooling stuff like the Aquaero, the radiators, farbwerk 360, etc are of extraordinary quality. Corsair isn't even near at what Aquacomputer is capable of.
            I actually considered getting one of the Aquacomputer components a year ago, and got discouraged by lack of Linux support. But I don't know if this fits my use case.
            I just have a water sensor, but my motherboard doesn't have an input for the sensor's output, so I need a component that allows me to monitor the sensor's temperature values.

Comment

The QUADRO would be the thing to choose. Inputs for one flow sensor, four temperature sensors, one RGBpx and four PWM headers for fans. And now linux support

Comment

Working...
              X