Lenovo USB-C 7-in-1 Hub On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catpig View Post

I'm confused. That's still 2 cables, the exact same number that I've had on every monitor since the 90s?

Edit: That's excluding the third cable for when I connect two systems to one monitor, but the same logic still applies.
    If you combine monitor with high enough power delivery and device with low enough power consumption, you can use just one cable. E.g. MacBook Air M1 takes so little, you're fine with monitors with 15W meant for phones (you can use phones as desktop computer: Android Desktop Mode + desktop Linux in Termux).

Comment

Originally posted by Ladis View Post

If you combine monitor with high enough power delivery and device with low enough power consumption, you can use just one cable. E.g. MacBook Air M1 takes so little, you're fine with monitors with 15W meant for phones (you can use phones as desktop computer: Android Desktop Mode + desktop Linux in Termux).
      I know, but the person I replied to said they are now using just a data cable and a power cable, as if that was an advantage. So I'm confused. But I guess if the monitor has a USB hub and that's used it saves the separate USB cable.
      Last edited by catpig; 13 February 2022, 10:56 AM. Reason: added separate

Comment

I'm confused. That's still 2 cables, the exact same number that I've had on every monitor since the 90s?

Edit: That's excluding the third cable for when I connect two systems to one monitor, but the same logic still applies.
        I believe they're saying that it's like with the dock on my brother's work laptop, where there's only one cable going to the laptop which both delivers power and provides video output.

(In his case, one USB cable powers the laptop and provides a data connection to a dock with Ethernet, video, and an external keyboard and mouse. In this case, it sounds like they're saying "I plug the monitor into the wall, plug the laptop into the monitor, and I'm done.")

Comment

Switching from DIsplayPort monitor to USB-C monitor allowed me to drop power cable I used for my notebook. So a minimum amount of cables went from 3 down to 2.
          USB hub in USB-C monitor is a nice bonus.

Comment

Working...
          X