Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenovo USB-C 7-in-1 Hub On Linux

Phoronix: Lenovo USB-C 7-in-1 Hub On Linux

For those considering the Lenovo USB-C 7-in-1 Hub for connecting to your Lenovo laptop for enjoying USB-C power charging, HDMI output, and additional USB ports, it does work out on Linux. While there have been some users running into seemingly firmware-related issues, at least with my testing over the past month this $50~60 (USD) USB-C hub has been working out well under Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I love USB-C

Buying USB-C monitor was one one my best purchases. One power cable, one USB-C cable. Done!

Comment

I'm curious how the hub performs when displays are daisy chained using DP cables. Is it possible to run 2 daisy-chained monitors with 1440p each? or even one 4k and the other 1080p or 1440p. Such a test might be a interesting addition to the article, since many use a multi-monitor setup.

Comment

Almost all of USB-C hubs support only 4K@30Hz on HDMI output. I own a UGreen hub which states 4K@60Hz support through internal DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC but I can't test it thanks to Intel adding DP 1.4 only in 11th generation of its CPUs.

Comment

I would rather buy a laptop with those connectors. Dongles are a plague, and "no connectors/no money" is the cure.

Comment

It is missing ethernet.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              I would rather buy a laptop with those connectors. Dongles are a plague, and "no connectors/no money" is the cure.
              They're not mutually exclusive. You can leave something like this plugged into a nice spread of stuff on your desk as a docking station that's not proprietary to a single laptop model and carry a laptop with a decent spread of ports in your bag. Aside from convenience, it'll save wear on your more-expensive-to-replace laptop's ports.

Comment

I have another, more pricey, Lenovo USB-C dock and frankly, while it works quite well with my Thinkpad T14 (usb, ethernet, power supply), is very disappointing in its video performance, because the DisplayLink driver for Linux is very poor. So I have to use an additional cable for that, Display Port or HDMI. Unfortunately the former goes occasionally blank for a couple of seconds, not clear if the cable is faulted or what, but that's still better than the usb-c only connection.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

They're not mutually exclusive. You can leave something like this plugged into a nice spread of stuff on your desk as a docking station that's not proprietary to a single laptop model and carry a laptop with a decent spread of ports in your bag. Aside from convenience, it'll save wear on your more-expensive-to-replace laptop's ports.
                  I can appreciate those as a docking station, with the advantage of more compatibility between brands than older ones. My grievance is that those dongles proliferated, after Apple proved people are whiling to pay to pay the same and receive less functionality. That requires CourageĀ® indeed...

Comment

The HDMI 1.4 kills it though. You only get 4k 30, which SUCKS even for just desktop usage. How hard is it to just implement HDMI 2.0? Practically no one does it.

Comment

Working...
                    X