No announcement yet.

KiCad 6.0 Release Imminent As A Leading Open-Source Circuit Board CAD Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KiCad 6.0 Release Imminent As A Leading Open-Source Circuit Board CAD Program

Phoronix: KiCad 6.0 Release Imminent As A Leading Open-Source Circuit Board CAD Program

KiCad 6.0 has been tagged as a major update to this leading open-source printed circuit board design program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just love this software. Been using the pre-release nightly builds for a couple of months now. KiCad is going to have a bright future.

Comment

Someone please kickstart librecad 3 development. We need a proper 2d cad foss

Comment

Originally posted by jukk View Post
        I just love this software. Been using the pre-release nightly builds for a couple of months now. KiCad is going to have a bright future.
        True. As hobbiest I have used primarily eagle in the past 10year. Last year I have switched to KiCAD and I don't regret it. It is a superb software. And Aisler PCB Service makes it rather easy to support KiCAd from the monetary side. You can add a donation when you order some PCBs so great symbiotic cooperation. Everyone is happy.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

True. As hobbiest I have used primarily eagle in the past 10year. Last year I have switched to KiCAD and I don't regret it. It is a superb software. And Aisler PCB Service makes it rather easy to support KiCAd from the monetary side. You can add a donation when you order some PCBs so great symbiotic cooperation. Everyone is happy.
          Thanks for the Tipp with Aisler!

Using KiCAD since years for hobby and professional. Nightly has been serving me well.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
            Someone please kickstart librecad 3 development. We need a proper 2d cad foss
            QCad CE is fairly FOSS

Comment

I've used KiCAD for end to end board design, and even though it has a long road ahead, it's actually pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Can anyone enlighten me about QCAD and LibreCAD? They seem to target a different audience. It also looks like there has been some friction between those two (forks, and licenses differ but looks like they once shared some code).

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

Yes, I too used Eagle for many years, periodically giving KiCad a go. As of version 5, KiCad was at a point where it could do everything I wanted (in a way that I could fit my personal workflows too). Looking forward to version 6, which is looking much like a good case of improvement-without-regression from where I.m sitting.

Comment

I started using KiCAD over 10 years ago as my daily driver. Good stuff. It's kind of funky compared to the commercial software but I continue to use the open-source options when I can especially since they run on Linux. I've gone from design to PCB on a bunch of projects with it. And I mean DIY type PCB like laser toner on magazine paper laminated to the board, cleaned in soapy water, then etched in a bucket with home-brewed cupric chloride and fish tank bubblers kind of stuff.

I'm a big FreeCAD, Inkscape, Wings3D, Blender (blech) user too. I used to use LibreCAD a lot 10 years ago but haven't used it recently, is it in trouble? I liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by gabber View Post

Thanks for the Tipp with Aisler!

Using KiCAD since years for hobby and professional. Nightly has been serving me well.
                    AFAIK Aisler accepts also PCB Designs made by nightly builds. Their engine runs on Kicad.

Comment

Working...
                    X