Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Hang In The Linux Kernel Can Happen If Trying To Read A Broken Floppy Then Ejecting It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baka0815
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Floppies will never disappear ! They are now known to everyone as the standard symbol for "save", even though no one saves anything on a floppy today and lots of young people never actually used one (Oh no ! I'm old !).
    Floppy disks are like Jesus- they died to become the icon of saving.

schmidtbag A hand with a pen is mostly used to "edit" (or change) something, not saving the changes. So I think that chance is lost.

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    We could just update the icon...

micro-sd-card-icon-01-.jpg?1459754397&s=091ea08e6a9874933cd6f7b79ea7c73c.jpg

Or tell kids that a the floppy icon is a first gen SD card and see how long it takes them to figure out we're all lying.
    Funny thing is, 30 years from now, a uSD card could likely become an irrelevant symbol too. I don't see it disappearing any time soon but I don't see it lasting forever either.
    I've always wondered why nobody used a hand with a pen for the icon, since most other related icons all have analog representations, and a hand with a pen would represent writing.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Floppies will never disappear ! They are now known to everyone as the standard symbol for "save", even though no one saves anything on a floppy today and lots of young people never actually used one (Oh no ! I'm old !).
    We could just update the icon...

micro-sd-card-icon-01-.jpg?1459754397&s=091ea08e6a9874933cd6f7b79ea7c73c.jpg

Or tell kids that a the floppy icon is a first gen SD card and see how long it takes them to figure out we're all lying.

Leave a comment:

• Krteq
    replied
    ...you can expect to see floppy patches still flopping around the kernel.
    Hehe

"I see what you did there" /meme

Leave a comment:

• ALRBP
    replied

Leave a comment:

• A Hang In The Linux Kernel Can Happen If Trying To Read A Broken Floppy Then Ejecting It

Phoronix: A Hang In The Linux Kernel Can Happen If Trying To Read A Broken Floppy Then Ejecting It

Going into 2022 the Linux kernel's floppy driver continues to see new code improvements and fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X