Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Hang In The Linux Kernel Can Happen If Trying To Read A Broken Floppy Then Ejecting It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PluMGMK
    replied
    Fair enough. But removing history manually sounds at least as awkward as saving manually, and if it's used less often it might be tricky to remember how to do it if you make a mistake…

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post

And if you accidentally type a password into a document, or something that was intended for something else?
    Yes? Where in all of this did I write that it would be impossible to perform undo or remove history manually?

Leave a comment:

• waxhead
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

We could just update the icon...

micro-sd-card-icon-01-.jpg?1459754397&s=091ea08e6a9874933cd6f7b79ea7c73c.jpg

Or tell kids that a the floppy icon is a first gen SD card and see how long it takes them to figure out we're all lying.
    I nominate this the best comment of the year 2021.

Looking deeper into this - perhaps they actually will never get it , as more and more data moves away from local storage and into the Ether only to emerge in some distant dungeon, owned by a large corporation. The kids of tomorrow will probably "just" pay for storage on some server because it is so simple.

I say - Floppy for life!!!!! (Let's just hope I do not regret saying that once the years pass by)

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

But who actually uses the buttons in the toolbars for saving? You use, Ctrl-S, Cmd-S, C-x C-s, :w, C-O or whatever your software uses.

Even my parents know some basic shortcuts. That includes saving (with the more "normal" Cmd-S/Ctrl-S). And the pieces of software that use something more unusual than that (emacs, nano, vi, ...) usually don't have the toolbar buttons anyway (not that most "normal" users would interact with it anyway). So arguably the image (and button) is completely redundant.
    Every non-nerd people.
    I know the shortcuts but moving back my hands from the trackpad (and the other from my beer) to the keyboard to produce said shortcuts takes longer than just moving the trackpad hand fingers to that floppy save disk.
    I only make exceptions for copy-paste, backspace, ctrl-z (and ctrl-y), the french Ç (on Windows at work) and ± (although when I feel lazy I can write them successively +- and it´s understandable.

Leave a comment:

• PluMGMK
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

The save icon needs to go completely. There is no reason in 2021 to have to manually save anything. Every single document or file we edit should come with unlimited undo without user interaction. Type a word and turn off your computer and on the next boot that word should be in the loaded document.
    And if you accidentally type a password into a document, or something that was intended for something else?

Leave a comment:

• NateHubbard
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Every single document or file we edit should come with unlimited undo without user interaction. Type a word and turn off your computer and on the next boot that word should be in the loaded document.
    What's the .vimrc entry for that? It sounds useful.

Leave a comment:

• Etherman
    replied
    Originally posted by oleid View Post
    Benchmark of different floppy drive brands?
    No! Different kernels of course. 2.0, 2,2, 2,4, 3, 4, and 5!

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Floppies will never disappear ! They are now known to everyone as the standard symbol for "save", even though no one saves anything on a floppy today and lots of young people never actually used one (Oh no ! I'm old !).
    The save icon needs to go completely. There is no reason in 2021 to have to manually save anything. Every single document or file we edit should come with unlimited undo without user interaction. Type a word and turn off your computer and on the next boot that word should be in the loaded document.

Leave a comment:

• uxmkt
    replied
    Originally posted by Vorpal View Post
    But who actually uses the buttons in the toolbars for saving?
    But who actually uses graphical editors? :-D

Leave a comment:

• uxmkt
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
    Floppies will never disappear ! They are now known to everyone as the standard symbol for "save", even though no one saves anything on a floppy today and lots of young people never actually used one (Oh no ! I'm old !).
    The same fate has already befallen hard disks and their icon. The icon of a 3.5" metal case with a slight circular bulge/depression is still used in things like the gtk3 file chooser widget, despite that tech already in the doorframe on its way out...
    Did I mention the Windows 9x/2x Explorer network share icon? Besides the hard disk icon part, it depicts a _T connector known from coax networks_. In contemporary Windows, the hard disk was replaced by a screen already, but the T connector stayed. Unforgivable! (1994 wants its 10BASE2 back)
    Last edited by uxmkt; 03 December 2021, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X