Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Hang In The Linux Kernel Can Happen If Trying To Read A Broken Floppy Then Ejecting It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Hang In The Linux Kernel Can Happen If Trying To Read A Broken Floppy Then Ejecting It

Phoronix: A Hang In The Linux Kernel Can Happen If Trying To Read A Broken Floppy Then Ejecting It

Going into 2022 the Linux kernel's floppy driver continues to see new code improvements and fixes...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ux-5.17-Floppy

Floppies will never disappear ! They are now known to everyone as the standard symbol for "save", even though no one saves anything on a floppy today and lots of young people never actually used one (Oh no ! I'm old !).

Comment

...you can expect to see floppy patches still flopping around the kernel.
      Hehe

"I see what you did there" /meme

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
        Floppies will never disappear ! They are now known to everyone as the standard symbol for "save", even though no one saves anything on a floppy today and lots of young people never actually used one (Oh no ! I'm old !).
        We could just update the icon...

micro-sd-card-icon-01-.jpg?1459754397&s=091ea08e6a9874933cd6f7b79ea7c73c.jpg

Or tell kids that a the floppy icon is a first gen SD card and see how long it takes them to figure out we're all lying.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          We could just update the icon...

micro-sd-card-icon-01-.jpg?1459754397&s=091ea08e6a9874933cd6f7b79ea7c73c.jpg

Or tell kids that a the floppy icon is a first gen SD card and see how long it takes them to figure out we're all lying.
          Funny thing is, 30 years from now, a uSD card could likely become an irrelevant symbol too. I don't see it disappearing any time soon but I don't see it lasting forever either.
          I've always wondered why nobody used a hand with a pen for the icon, since most other related icons all have analog representations, and a hand with a pen would represent writing.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
            Floppy disks are like Jesus- they died to become the icon of saving.

schmidtbag
            schmidtbag A hand with a pen is mostly used to "edit" (or change) something, not saving the changes. So I think that chance is lost.

Comment

We demand benchmarks!

Comment

Benchmark of different floppy drive brands?

Comment

"A Hang In The Linux Kernel Can Happen If Trying To Read A Broken Floppy Then Ejecting It - I know, it's been bugging me for a while

Comment

The last time I used a floppy was just a year ago, when I updated the Open Firmware of my IBM B50 PowerPC servers ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iN-ynOvxUQ

Comment

Working...
                    X