System76 Begins Detailing Their Open-Source "Launch Configurable Keyboard"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
    You've got it backwards. Your cheapo membrane switch keyboard requires that you mash the key down hard until it doesn't go any further. This is particularly hard on your fingers and joints, and causes pain for those with arthritis or carpal tunnel syndrome.

Mechanical switches on the other hand, have significant key travel, and have a tactile feel that allows you to register the keypress *without* depressing the key all the way down and crashing into the stop. This is why writers and others who do loads of typing prefer mechanical keyboards - because they're so much gentler on your finger joints, they're more comfortable to use for long periods of time.
    In my experience, and yes I'm old enough to remember the time when all keyboards were mechanical - and I used one for years, the mechanical keyboard takes more force to press down than some other, softer keyboards. I'm all about what takes the least amount of pressure to depress the key, and I don't want to hear clicking when I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

People with carpel tunnel and athritis should be using this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mi...otverviewtab

Or this: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...ergonomic.html

Frankly, all keyboards are shit in some way. I have spent thousands (this is not an exaggeration) on keyboards in an attempt to find the best., most suitable keyboard for myself and I still have not been successful in doing so.

My hypothetical 'perfect' keyboard is some kind of 'fusion' between the two keyboards linked above. Which unfortunately does not exist.
      I own both. The MS keyboard - after about a year, started randomly dropping it's bluetooth connection - regardless of the state of the batteries. It also got so dirty that it just looked nasty. The fabric covering seemed to pick up and hold everything. Also, I have a Mac and of course the MS keyboard was rather limited.

I now regularly use the logitech keyboard and it's been solid for over a year. It also works well with a MAC and lets you switch between 3 devices quickly and easily. I'm very happy with it.

Comment

Yep, good scissor switches give out a very solid 'tak' sound when bottoming out.

Depends. For regular keyboards, if the rubber domes are stiff and firm then the feel is still not too bad. Unfortunately, most keyboards today use very thin and soft rubber domes which simply don't provide that kind of satisfaction.
        If you have arthritis in your hands, "stiff and firm" is the last thing you want.

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
          Not for me, I need a proper numpad + sane placement of the keys. My favorite is the Logitec UltraX Premium keyboard. A shame they don't make them anymore!
          fork it and make it better

Comment

Just to add another voice to the cacophony of demands... keyboards should come in Small, Medium, Large layouts. That jockeys and basketball players need to type on the same device is a little bit unfair. I'd probably spend double for a 10-20% key size increase.

Increased size keyboards exist, but they seem to all be accesibility devices, and key size is massively increased.

Comment

That's not true and you know it.
              You're right. I should have said mainly. The scissor mechanism does add a tactile feel to the keys, so it is better than strictly membrane. I prefer the blue and brown mechanical switches, though.

Comment

... And nobody mentioned the IBM Model M? I still have at least a couple of them stashed away in a closet somewhere (or are they Model Fs?)
                Last edited by cmsigler; 11 February 2021, 02:41 PM. Reason: Oops, wrong model?

Comment

Originally posted by extremesquared View Post
                  Just to add another voice to the cacophony of demands... keyboards should come in Small, Medium, Large layouts. That jockeys and basketball players need to type on the same device is a little bit unfair. I'd probably spend double for a 10-20% key size increase.

Increased size keyboards exist, but they seem to all be accesibility devices, and key size is massively increased.
                  Left handed would also be nice. We're seemingly forgotten since 'smart'phone tech arrived.
                  Hi

Comment

There are lots of good (and shit) keyboards out there using scissor switches. Microsoft's and Logi's scissor switch keyboards are top notch.

I would buy scissor switch keyboards direct from Chinese brands for the substantial savings through Taobao, but apparently the Chinese consumers have little interest in such keyboards, because practically no Chinese vendor makes and sells them for the domestic market.
                    I've got two microsoft ones afaik, my main one is probably cheaper and came with a mouse and is wireless. The other was probably 60-70 USD bluetooth combo that I rarely use (mostly for travel / backup), I remember the bluetooth wasn't always great connection wise, but both have the flat keys and work fine for me typing...

I don't really get the difference / benefit of these fancy keyboard switches, I'm guessing it's the same as 1080p to 4k video or 60Hz vs 144Hz displays, things I've not really experienced but those that have swear they can't go back.

When I was in china I did get a rather cheap wired mouse/keyboard with a PC I bought there to use. It had the traditional blocky keys and I imagine the switch talk is more relevant there as that was awful to type on, but I'm pretty sure the cheap thin/hollow plastic material it was made out of had something to do with it. The mouse especially felt like some McDonalds happy meal toy. I preferred the less reliable bluetooth connection of my travel keyboard instead.

Comment

It doesn't seem that has any revolutionary design...

Comment

Working...
                      X