Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.8 To Allow Swapping Fn / Ctrl Keys On Apple Keyboards

Phoronix: Linux 5.8 To Allow Swapping Fn / Ctrl Keys On Apple Keyboards

While there have been out-of-tree Linux patches offering this support already, with the in-development Linux 5.8 kernel comes a mainline solution for allowing the Fn and left Control keys to be swapped on Apple keyboards...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Apple-Fn-Ctrl

Will it allow swapping Apple for better products?

Comment

I can do that in the BIOS of my Thinkpads...

Comment

Will it allow Apple to swap to a green apple instead of a red one or vice versa?

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          I can do that in the BIOS of my Thinkpads...
          Everyone can, but you can't do so on Apple machines, even if you run Linux on them.

Comment

Honest question here: Why would you buy a Mac for yourself paying the Apple premium for the hardware, and then not run Mac OS on it?

Comment

breaking news ;-)

Comment

I've been doing this with a programmable (QMK) keyboard. I have a Mac Book Pro (work) + Linux Desktop + Monitor with a USB/Display switcher so whenever I move between the two setups I just press the magic combo and done

Comment

Originally posted by lundgren View Post
                  Honest question here: Why would you buy a Mac for yourself paying the Apple premium for the hardware, and then not run Mac OS on it?
                  Well, you could have a hand me down machine, or one from work. Despite the upgrade/maintenance problems, Macbooks still are well build machines and I wouldn't say no to a free one to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                    Macbooks still are well build machines and I wouldn't say no to a free one to play with.
                    I would. Don't need no spicy pillows, blowing SMD capacitors, a portable oven, iGPU dying out of nowhere, soldered storage... shit I could go on.

Comment

Working...
                    X