Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.8 To Allow Swapping Fn / Ctrl Keys On Apple Keyboards

Phoronix: Linux 5.8 To Allow Swapping Fn / Ctrl Keys On Apple Keyboards

While there have been out-of-tree Linux patches offering this support already, with the in-development Linux 5.8 kernel comes a mainline solution for allowing the Fn and left Control keys to be swapped on Apple keyboards...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will it allow swapping Apple for better products?

Comment

I can do that in the BIOS of my Thinkpads...

Comment

Will it allow Apple to swap to a green apple instead of a red one or vice versa?

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
          I can do that in the BIOS of my Thinkpads...
          Everyone can, but you can't do so on Apple machines, even if you run Linux on them.

Comment

Honest question here: Why would you buy a Mac for yourself paying the Apple premium for the hardware, and then not run Mac OS on it?

Comment

breaking news ;-)

Comment

I've been doing this with a programmable (QMK) keyboard. I have a Mac Book Pro (work) + Linux Desktop + Monitor with a USB/Display switcher so whenever I move between the two setups I just press the magic combo and done

Comment

Originally posted by lundgren View Post
                  Honest question here: Why would you buy a Mac for yourself paying the Apple premium for the hardware, and then not run Mac OS on it?
                  Well, you could have a hand me down machine, or one from work. Despite the upgrade/maintenance problems, Macbooks still are well build machines and I wouldn't say no to a free one to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    Macbooks still are well build machines and I wouldn't say no to a free one to play with.
                    I would. Don't need no spicy pillows, blowing SMD capacitors, a portable oven, iGPU dying out of nowhere, soldered storage... shit I could go on.

Comment

Working...
                    X