• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    500 megapixel doesn't exist.
    It does:
    "Exists" means that it's a thing that has been manifested in physical reality and can be seen and used somewhere in the world, today.

Do you understand the difference between what exists today, and what "Samsung is aiming to one day make a 600-megapixel sensor", as your cited article states?

Apparently not.

Actually a 192 MP phone is rumored to appear in the coming weeks https://dazeinfo.com/2020/04/17/the-...far-from-over/
    I really don't understand the point of it. I don't see how the optics of a phone camera can yield meaningful detail, at that resolution. And that assumes it's in a tripod. If handheld, those tiny pixels are going to be a blurry mess.

Worse, the finer your pixel array, the more overhead you have, which reduces light sensitivity. And, what's crucial for cell phones, is that it takes more power to process and compress such high-resolution images. And that article points out that it can't currently be used for video or HDR photos.

So, you're going to sacrifice light sensitivity and burn more power for images that are effectively no sharper than one could get with a lower-res sensor, and sacrifice useful features, just for bragging right? Idiocy seems not too strong a word.
    Last edited by coder; 21 May 2020, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post

I just had to 2nd what lethalwp said- it's not thermal throttling, but a phenomenon of both your system's cache and the cache on the device. If you run:

Code:
      sudo dd if=/dev/zero bs=8M oflag=direct status=progress of=/dev/<flash device>
      You'll see the speed will drop really quickly at the beginning as the on-device cache is filled, then settle to the underlying flash media's true write thruput speed- which tends to be pretty crap on most cheap cards due to the storage they use. I have Micro-SD cards that do sustained writes at ~4MByte/sec and others that can do ~35MByte/sec.
      I don't think I can do anything about the cache on the device.

I've had bad experiences with "random/cheap" microSD cards in the past (sudden death syndrome my primary concern) so only buy Sandisk (or Samsung, if I know they aren't going into an SBC, since I've had poor experiences of Samsung microSDs in ODROIDs refusing to boot...)... any manufacturer you would recommend instead?

I've generally found the Sandisk microSDs to be pretty good, but their USB3 memory sticks, like I said, get scorchingly hot and only slow down to utterly pitiful speeds when they get that hot.

Something to investigate in more detail when I've got time. Hm. USB reader type (USB2, or 3), SD card type, brand, capacity...

Comment

Whoa, sweet. So now mere SD card would be able launch full-scale DMA attacks on whole system. Ain't it cool?! Say bye-bye to your systems security.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
          So now mere SD card would be able launch full-scale DMA attacks on whole system.
          Why regurgitate FUD that's already been debunked up-thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
            any manufacturer you would recommend instead?
            For the purposes I use (sneakernet between machines, and WoRM-like photos storage in my phones and movies storage in my tablet), I just either pick whatever's lying around (SanDisk, usually, it turns out but there's many brands), and I've got some ~20 random Micro-SDs all over and have only had one fail on me, and that one went read-only so I could get my data off. Don't recall which brand. Been burned by an Amazon fake once, too- but they just swapped it for free.

That being said, when I implement removable storage in my clients' designs via Micro-SD, I spec out the Industrial versions of the cards (which have higher MTTF and durability) and of course design the SW to greatly limit writes (I've had to preach this to clients that think they can write GBs/day to uSD cards).

Comment

Originally posted by kcrudup View Post
              For the purposes I use (sneakernet between machines, and WoRM-like photos storage in my phones and movies storage in my tablet), I just either pick whatever's lying around (SanDisk, usually, it turns out but there's many brands), and I've got some ~20 random Micro-SDs all over and have only had one fail on me, and that one went read-only so I could get my data off. Don't recall which brand. Been burned by an Amazon fake once, too- but they just swapped it for free.

That being said, when I implement removable storage in my clients' designs via Micro-SD, I spec out the Industrial versions of the cards (which have higher MTTF and durability) and of course design the SW to greatly limit writes (I've had to preach this to clients that think they can write GBs/day to uSD cards).
              Thanks for the input. So short of going industrial grade, there isn't much of a better option.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post
                Thanks for the input. So short of going industrial grade, there isn't much of a better option.
                Well, unless you're doing sustained writes, I don't think the reputable manufacturers lie about their write speeds. That being said, I've got uSDs from 2010 that still work perfectly, aibeit a bit slow because of decade-old technology.

Comment

Cheaper phones come with SD card slots to compensate the lack of internal storage. Modern 100-500 Megapixel smart phone cameras will produce gigantic photos, especially RAW files.
                  Cheaper? My 512 GB phone has a memory card slot. Lots of people wants a memory card because it represents backup - and wireless backup isn't always an option.

Comment

Originally posted by zyxxel View Post

Cheaper? My 512 GB phone has a memory card slot. Lots of people wants a memory card because it represents backup - and wireless backup isn't always an option.
                    Some flagship phones like SGS6 and iPhones don't include SD card slots.

Comment

Some flagship phones like SGS6 and iPhones don't include SD card slots.
                      And some flagship phones like Samsung S10/S20 has a memory card slot.

So you can't categorize it as "cheaper" if a phone has a memory card slot, just as you can't categorize black phones as cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                      X