No announcement yet.

Linux Kernel's Floppy Disk Code Is Seeing Improvements In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as it still supports 8" it's all good. :-) Out of curiosity if your device still has a floppy hasn't support for most of the components in it already been removed? Sounds like it is time for people to ether upgrade or virtualize some hardware. The first time I installed Linux I had to feed it some thing like 50 floppies. One for the kernel one for the initrd and the rest to make it actually do some thing. I can't imagine how many it would take to do an install these days. systemd would likely be 50 floppies on it's own.

Comment

I have 2 systems with working 3.5" floppy drives along with 3 working spares. There's another 5 1/4" drive in storage, 'just in case'. I did have occasion to use them last year to check to be sure stored floppies had nothing of value on them after the owner died early last year.

I'm happy to see work on old hardware drivers like that that were once widespread. It'll keep Linux relevant in the forensics and data recovery world.

Eventually these drives will die, though. Anything with capacitors eventually will. Whether or not replacement capacitors exist will become as important to old IBM style floppy drives as they are to refurbishing antique radios, antiquated early microcomputers, etc.

Comment

My computer has a floppy drive in it. My motherboard has no connector. It's just sitting there, all day long, disconnected. Poor floppy drive.

Comment

USB floppies work pretty well, I have one on top of my USB DVD burner and just under my USB dial up modem. All that sitting on my ITX case.

Sadly, there aren't any 5.25 USB drives anywhere.

Be sure and use Michael's link to Newegg when you order your USB floppy drive.

Comment

Originally posted by programmerjake View Post
            I think I still have a 5.25in 360k floppy somewhere...
            I still occasionally run across an 8in floppy at the bottom of some old storage box that I am cleaning (throwing) out.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              You can mount flash drives as read-only. But even then, you said "transferring data from one network to another". Unless these networks are isolated from each other, why not just use the network to transfer files?

I personally have had data corruption issues with zip drives. Jazz were pretty cool, at least in concept.
              Well, if two networks were connected, wouldn't they qualify as a single network? So transferring from network to network implies isolation between networks ;-) And mounting read-only does not stop "evil backdoor software" from remounting read-write. Putting write protection on a floppy was actually safe (Evil memory from my Amiga, that I bought as a showcase "bargain" with viruses from day one :-] ).

But full agree on unreliable zip discs,

Comment

Originally posted by fkoehler View Post

Well, if two networks were connected, wouldn't they qualify as a single network? So transferring from network to network implies isolation between networks ;-) And mounting read-only does not stop "evil backdoor software" from remounting read-write. Putting write protection on a floppy was actually safe (Evil memory from my Amiga, that I bought as a showcase "bargain" with viruses from day one :-] ).

But full agree on unreliable zip discs,
                It's sad that flash drives with hardware write-protect switches seem to be extinct now.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                  Out of curiosity if your device still has a floppy hasn't support for most of the components in it already been removed?
                  I know some Socket AM3 mobos still had floppy connectors, so it's not really that old.

Comment

It was a quick update and optimisation to Floppies so once we hit DEFCON 1 around the world and governments starts moving to their old, dusty, cold-war era bunkers full of "IBM-PC" compatible PCs, CRT monitors, floppies, and tape reels, with token ring topologies and coaxial networks; we can update them to the latest mainline stable kernel and fight of the hordes of zombies that the new coronavirus vaccine will create/mutate in the populations around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
                      It was a quick update and optimisation to Floppies so once we hit DEFCON 1 around the world and governments starts moving to their old, dusty, cold-war era bunkers full of "IBM-PC" compatible PCs, CRT monitors, floppies, and tape reels, with token ring topologies and coaxial networks; we can update them to the latest mainline stable kernel and fight of the hordes of zombies that the new coronavirus vaccine will create/mutate in the populations around the world.
                      Don't know what you are using man, but need some of it for my recreation too.

Comment

Working...
                      X