Linux 5.7 Picking Up Support For A High-End USB-C Audio Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    spykes It is a shame for sure! I don't know of any audio interfaces that do not have any quirks at all. Except Behringer's line of audio interfaces? Perhaps?
    I know this is just asking for an opinion, but I'm looking for a decent interface (nothing fancy, just good support, and standards compliant) to plug a single electric guitar into a computer to do some recording, effects, etc. I just looked up the Behringer stuff based on your post. I may work in both Windows and Linux - do you recommend this brand? Thanks.

Comment

Michael at first I didn't like the part in the news informing that the upstreaming was being done by the community instead of the company, but now I see how useful it is to know who supports Linux or not.

We have successful cases where a community project/driver/port get supported later by the company, Freedreno is one that comes to my mind

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
        I know this is just asking for an opinion, but I'm looking for a decent interface (nothing fancy, just good support, and standards compliant) to plug a single electric guitar into a computer to do some recording, effects, etc. I just looked up the Behringer stuff based on your post. I may work in both Windows and Linux - do you recommend this brand? Thanks.
        I do recommend you start with Behringer. There is no on-board DSP, so all the features in audio interface should work out of the box.

Comment

Interesting, IIRC besides just offering superior bandwidth (vs USB v1 and v2) the inherently isochronous transfer mode along with DMA capability were the "must have" features for real-time A/V workflows, where USB simply didn't do that. I wonder what new USB capability was introduced, that enabled the A/V gear makers to switch from Firewire?

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post

I do recommend you start with Behringer. There is no on-board DSP, so all the features in audio interface should work out of the box.
            Ok, thanks. I might have to give something a try here. I am certainly going to learn more about what they have.

Comment

Originally posted by spykes View Post
              Kudo to the developper, but it's really a shame that hardware manufacturers don't consider Linux as a viable platform to build a recording studio.
              True, on the otherhand I really doubt most of these firms are swimming in cash. Professional audio is anything but high volume. The good thing here is that a company can see what percentage of its user base is on Linux and thus maybe make better support decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

FWIW. This is not really studio equipment, it's more for the road. There are recording studios running mostly Linux, but mostly stationary ones.
                I have only been in a small handful of pro studios, but all the ones I was in they were primarily using Windows or Macs, as that was the platform where the pro level DAW software ran. Are the vendors now porting their high end tooling to Linux? Can we look forward (or revulse from the thought) to Avid Pro Tools running on Linux (for those not aware, there has historically been a love/hate relationship with the Avid tools by those that use it)

Comment

I've been using once in a while the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (1st Gen). Works just out of the box on Linux. I believe they released a new version of this series of devices recently, but they should still work on Linux (based on what people write in forums here and there).

Comment

Why not just run a line from what ever electronics you have the electric plugged into into the line in on your sound card? Audio interfaces only make sense when you are recording microphones or multiple instruments at once.

Comment

It's a mid-tier Audio Interface, not high end. Still, great news.

Comment

Working...
                      X