X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangoMopar
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    so whats the point of TUXEDO if it is AMD/INTEL/NVIDIA hardware? it is just NOT Linux hardware at all.
    Sorry, but this is why Linux can't gain bigger market share. There's just no pleasing some people. You have to start somewhere, man.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Got any news or a timeframe for SUSE Leap updating to the next Plasma LTS release? I happened to see a Plasma 5.18 LTS article in my Google Feed and I instantly thought you'd be a good person to ask about that.
    It's scheduled for Leap 15.2 https://news.opensuse.org/tag/5-18/
    They say it will enter Beta phase in February next year https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Roadmap
    Leap 15.1 was in May 2019, so 15.2 is probably going to be around May 2020.

Bonus info for Danny3, OpenSUSE has official releases that mimic KDE Neon (LTS base + latest KDE/Plasma) https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Argon_and_Krypton
    Last edited by starshipeleven; 12 November 2019, 09:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    144Hz

I'm outside of Germany and I care about SUSE. Granted that I'm half German/half British in a German settled part of America, but that's besides the point.

SUSE Leap is one of the few LTS distributions, possibly the only, that actually runs an LTS desktop environment, an LTS graphical toolkit, and an LTS kernel over random version freezing. For me, that's a much, much better selling point than Ubuntu LTS and why I always give SUSE a try over other distributions and keep them in my mind.

starshipeleven

Got any news or a timeframe for SUSE Leap updating to the next Plasma LTS release? I happened to see a Plasma 5.18 LTS article in my Google Feed and I instantly thought you'd be a good person to ask about that.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
    So your reason not to buy tuxedo is more that they do not have AMD models.
    Boy a decent AMD laptop where someone is doing a decent job with the UEFI/ACPI/whatever for Linux support would sell so hard...

Too bad that all these companies are too small to design their own laptop and have to rely on whitebox designs.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    starshipeleven This is bs. Ubuntu is already supported and many problems are already fixed.
    Also OpenSUSE.

Ubuntu got LTS and a strict SRU process in place. This makes things easy.
    Also OpenSUSE Leap

Welcome to problems like kmail can’t send or recieve mails.
    Can't reproduce
    KIO/fuse eats files.
    Can't reproduce
    Baloo causes global warming.
    Only for a hour or so after install as it is indexing stuff.
    The only support you can do here is reinstall.
    The problems you mentioned are only about KDE, so even if they were true (and they are not), OpenSUSE with GNOME or XFCE would NOT have them.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

I don't know, I haven't researched yet, I don't plan to buy anything soon.
    But I know what I want:
    AMD (Ryzen 3rd gen) CPU
    AMD (Vega or Navi) GPU
    17 inch display if it's a laptop.
    Kubuntu or KDE Neon operating system, I hate Gnome 3. But this is not so important as the others, since I can install it myself.
    So your reason not to buy tuxedo is more that they do not have AMD models. There is no vendor that I know that preinstalls KDE neon. Allmost all ship Gnome or Win.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    starshipeleven That’s bs. Limited support is always easier.
    Note how I didn't say EVERYTHING but ANYTHING. Just choose one and stick with it. Does not really matter.

Sorry but no one cares about openSUSE outside Germany.
    I'm outside Germany and I care.

Leave a comment:

• Mez'
    replied
    Originally posted by StandaSK View Post
    Congrats to Tuxedo on the new offices

Now offer AMD GPUs :P
    I would just for once like to see AMD CPUs.

They have a page named AMD-System but it's empty. I'm tired of every company not making one single effort in offering AMD-based systems. I dream of a PC world with choice (Windows-Linux(-MacOS); AMD-Intel; AMD-Nvidia). Let people decide the f** they want. It's just not complicated.

I will buy Windows powered AMD-based systems (and formatting to Linux before booting) until then.

Leave a comment:

• ntropy
    replied
    I have two laptops from them, one for me and one for my wife. She wanted to buy an Apple so I got her a Tux that looked like an Apple and had about the same specs. Hers came with Xubuntu, mine has Ubuntu Budgie. What is modified is HidPi support and and install script that does all the necessary installation for you.

So they basically aim to reach non-Linux people and make their entry experience as easy as possible. Their support is outstanding, they are always open for prolonged email talks.

Leave a comment:

• fkoehler
    replied
    Tuxedo_os is Ubuntu and GNOME based. Like most OEM OSs these days.
    Your comment seems to imply, that this is the only option and there might probably be problems with everything else. But I just bought a Tuxedo Notebook preloaded with opensuse LEAP 15.1 for my dad, so this definitely not true. Everything works OOTB, but that should not be worth mentioning ;-)

Preinstalled they offer their Tuxedo_os respin of Ubuntu, Ubuntu and OpenSUSE Leap, both either with or without full disk enycryption. Chances are really good, that you can easily install $REPO of your choice, because the hardware is chosen to be supported by Linux upstream.

So lots of the comments here like the above seem to be written using some undeserved negative spin, which is a pity.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X