X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuxd3v
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    can you tell me why do they use QorIQ Freescale Semiconductor. T2080 – 4X e6500, 8 Threads instead of IBM power9 4 core cpu ?
    I don't really know if are out there any power8 or 9 with same TDP envelope..
    They seems really nice to me..

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Your post lacks important information lol. Please name the brand/model of your laptop.
    Acer Aspire 3 A315-41
    Many Ryzen based laptops has great support with a recent bios, most problems with recent linux distributions was related to buggy bios (UEFI).

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    yes good link. i send the same like to [email protected]
    right now i have no free money to do a donation to the project
    but i really like it. and i will buy one if it is ever released as a real product
    Well,
    I haven't loss all the expectation, that Michael one day would be doing a article about that project..
    I hope he do, because that project deserves our attention, its software and hardware open source, not some vague words that a lot of projects do
    Its a very good machine, if you look into the specs..
    Yes I also want one powerpc laptop

Leave a comment:

• tuxd3v
    replied
    for me hardware with closed source firmware is not true linux hardware.
    on my threadripper+vega64 box right now i can not even install default/standard debian10 because of the missing closed source vega64 firmware.

for me i only call full open-source hardware like Raptors Engineering IBM power9 cpu based hardware real linux hardware.
    yes they do not have a GPU yet but if they have a GPU in the near future i will not again buy any AMD/INTEL/NVIDIA hardware.

so whats the point of TUXEDO if it is AMD/INTEL/NVIDIA hardware? it is just NOT Linux hardware at all.
    You have some OpenSource projects going on..
    For instance this PowePC

Notonly the case, but the motherboard will be released

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    Many AMD based laptops are well supported now, the problems that surrounded them earlier has been fixed with bios (UEFI) updates.
    But one should check how well the laptop supports Linux distributions before one buys one.
    My Ryzen laptop had some quirks and needed some overrides but bois updates has fixed all of them and now everything works out of the box on a recent linux distribution.
    Someone should offer an Ryzen based laptop with preinstalled Linux distribution.
    Your post lacks important information lol. Please name the brand/model of your laptop.

Leave a comment:

• ntropy
    replied
    I have a Ryzen 2500U in a HP convertible, with HP being known for their poor Linux support or just having a lot of proprietary hardware. I got me Manjaro Deepin on it, cause I liked the GUI for touchscreen support and it ran well out of the box. Only thing that doesnt work till today is the proprietary screen rotation sensor.

Now since the latest linux-next PSR DC Patches for the amdgpu driver, my battery life went up by 2 hours and the thing runs better than on windows.

Leave a comment:

• Nille_kungen
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Boy a decent AMD laptop where someone is doing a decent job with the UEFI/ACPI/whatever for Linux support would sell so hard...

Too bad that all these companies are too small to design their own laptop and have to rely on whitebox designs.
    Many AMD based laptops are well supported now, the problems that surrounded them earlier has been fixed with bios (UEFI) updates.
    But one should check how well the laptop supports Linux distributions before one buys one.
    My Ryzen laptop had some quirks and needed some overrides but bois updates has fixed all of them and now everything works out of the box on a recent linux distribution.
    Someone should offer an Ryzen based laptop with preinstalled Linux distribution.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomme
    replied
    Originally posted by BangoMopar View Post

Can't believe no one has mentioned Slimbook as a Linux PC vendor...

Also, ships with KDE Neon...
    thanks for the tip!

Leave a comment:

• fkoehler
    replied
    Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    fkoehler No. My comments does NOT imply Lack of options. I’m just telling the obvious. Tuxedo_os, pop_os, pureos etc share the same base. Branding, themes, extensions and repos might differ but that’s it.
    Well, the reality is, they support UBUNTU/Gnome(Tuxedo OS)) and KDE (openSUSE LEAP Tuxedo style) about equally well.

Mathematically speaking: Choice = A v B
    with Choice = choice of your operating system
    A = Operating system using Gnome
    B = Operating system using KDE

So when you write "Tuxedo_os is Ubuntu and GNOME based."

This reads as : Choice = A

which implies Choice = ! B

which is wrong.

So if you would have written "Tuxedo_os, pop_os, pureos etc share the same base, whereas for Tuxedo you might also choose eg. the openSUSE LEAP/Tuxedo installation, which is significantly different to the other Ubuntu clones on the market" this would be correct and something completely different to what you actually did write ;-p

See my point?

Leave a comment:

• BangoMopar
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomme View Post

So your reason not to buy tuxedo is more that they do not have AMD models. There is no vendor that I know that preinstalls KDE neon. Allmost all ship Gnome or Win.
    Can't believe no one has mentioned Slimbook as a Linux PC vendor...

Also, ships with KDE Neon...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X