Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS On Linux Lands TRIM Support Ahead Of ZOL 0.8

Phoronix: ZFS On Linux Lands TRIM Support Ahead Of ZOL 0.8

While we have been quite looking forward to ZFS On Linux 0.8 with its many additions, this next release will be even better as it now supports SSD TRIM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does actually anyone use ZFS ? Whenever I read about ZFS I have to think about "dead code" within the Linux Kernel.

Comment

I think you mean ghost code within the Linux kernel. Or invisible code.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        Does actually anyone use ZFS ? Whenever I read about ZFS I have to think about "dead code" within the Linux Kernel.
        You need to rethink. ZFS is NOT in Linux Kernel, and unlikely it ever be.

Comment

I do.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

ZFS is an out-of-tree module.

Comment

Pretty much all Linux distros these days tend to utilize systemd to TRIM-spam partitions DURING the boot process, making OS bootup once in a week take 5 to 10 minutes. All accompanied by a black screen, no status indicator, so only after hunting logs do you realize the thing was TRIMming your partitions 1000 times in the middle of the OS boot process. Windows partitions included, of course, because f... you, dual-booters.

All these lovely things are coming to ZFS users, so welcome to the party of sitting 10 minutes at a black screen just to get a chance to log in. Yeah, TRIM is a good and useful feature. It should never ever be done in the middle of an OS boot process. F... systemd and all distributions that allow this.

Comment

Yes, there are people that are using ZoL quite extensively.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                  Pretty much all Linux distros these days tend to utilize systemd to TRIM-spam partitions DURING the boot process, making OS bootup once in a week take 5 to 10 minutes. All accompanied by a black screen, no status indicator, so only after hunting logs do you realize the thing was TRIMming your partitions 1000 times in the middle of the OS boot process. Windows partitions included, of course, because f... you, dual-booters.

All these lovely things are coming to ZFS users, so welcome to the party of sitting 10 minutes at a black screen just to get a chance to log in. Yeah, TRIM is a good and useful feature. It should never ever be done in the middle of an OS boot process. F... systemd and all distributions that allow this.
                  Systemd's claim to fame was that it will make bootup faster ...

Now doing another thing it should not be doing.

Comment

Yes, I use it here. I trust it more than Btrfs and and prefer the overall structure of how its used and managed.

Comment

Working...
                    X