No announcement yet.

Valve's Steam Link For Raspberry Pi Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit unrelated, but now that I changed from Nvidia (650Ti) to AMD RX580, I am a bit shocked to learn that Steam In-Home Streaming hardware encoding is Nvidia only!
    VAAPI encoding was apparently never implemented, and even Intel _decoding_ with modern VAAPI does no longer work (it used to work with older vaapi versions).
    Update: got Intel VAAPI decoding on the client working again: archlinux has the needed older vaapi version as separate libva1 packages, just had to install all those.

Most know that Steam Broadcasting never came to Linux.
    All in all a bit sad, now that modern vaapi is in good shape on Intel and AMD open-source drivers...
    Last edited by Stebs; 14 December 2018, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      This new Steam Link app
      Is it really an applet though? That would be huge waste of resources, considering the hardware built into the Pi. Is it running on Java or Mono? Probably none, and it's a native program, not an applet, and this is just a mistake in the article.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
        Is it really an applet though? That would be huge waste of resources, considering the hardware built into the Pi. Is it running on Java or Mono? Probably none, and it's a native program, not an applet, and this is just a mistake in the article.
        I think that's short for application not applet. I haven't yet tried this myself but I agree that's probably written in C(++) and not Java or anything bytecode or intrepreted.

I would like to see Steam Link as a feature in Kodi. A plugin would suffice. I also wish a bit that Valve released Steam Link as free software but that probably won't happen.

Comment

Working...
        X