NVIDIA 560 Linux Driver Beta Released - Defaults To Open GPU Kernel Modules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Since the firmware is the actual driver and it is not included in linux-firmware it puts them in exactly the same boat as they have always been. Once it gets included in linux-firmware then that puts them in the same boat as AMD and Intel.
    Three things:

1) The version of the firmware that Nouveau uses is in linux-firmware: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...idia/tu102/gsp

2) The linux-firmware repository is intended only for firmware images that are used by upstream drivers. Nouveau is upstream, OpenRM is not.

3) The linux-firmware maintainers would not allow every version of the GSP firmware in the repo, regardless. The firmware blobs are about 30MB each, and there are two of them in every release. If the maintainers were to allow Nvidia to put every version of the firwmare in linux-firmware, it would blow up the repository.
    Last edited by tabicat; 25 July 2024, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tabicat View Post

Two things:

1) The version of the firmware that Nouveau uses is in linux-firmware: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...idia/tu102/gsp

2) The linux-firmware repository is intended only for firmware images that are used by upstream drivers. Nouveau is upstream, OpenRM is not.

3) The linux-firmware maintainers would not allow every version of the GSP firmware in the repo, regardless. The firmware blobs are about 30MB each, and there are two of them in every release. If the maintainers were to allow Nvidia to put every version of the firwmare in linux-firmware, it would blow up the repository.
      3 things?

But, yeah, I think what you are saying is that nVidia is still in the same boat as they have always been in and it won't change.

Comment

My dream is Nvidia stop being a shit on Wayland, seriously.

>uses nouveau on my RTX A2000 with a Alienware monitor (180Hz)
        >everything is smooth on Gnome or KDE with Wayland, firefox too
        >install proprietary or "open" drivers
        >stutters on Gnome, stutters on KDE
        >firefox scroll becomes a trash
        >try with Intel UHD 630
        >everything just works like a charm

I don't have a AMD GPU, so I can't talk about my experience today with AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by bkdwt View Post
          My dream is Nvidia stop being a shit on Wayland, seriously.

>uses nouveau on my RTX A2000 with a Alienware monitor (180Hz)
          >everything is smooth on Gnome or KDE with Wayland, firefox too
          >install proprietary or "open" drivers
          >stutters on Gnome, stutters on KDE
          >firefox scroll becomes a trash
          >try with Intel UHD 630
          >everything just works like a charm

I don't have a AMD GPU, so I can't talk about my experience today with AMD.
          The new explicit sync capabilities will help your experience on nVidia GPUs. It can be a bit of a pain depending on what distro you're using. But the newest releases coming out soon should have it by default.

Comment

The new explicit sync capabilities will help your experience on nVidia GPUs. It can be a bit of a pain depending on what distro you're using. But the newest releases coming out soon should have it by default.
            For now my experience with Fedora (Gnome and KDE), Arch (KDE) and Ubuntu (Gnome) is the same. The same problem happens with all the three distros.

Comment

For now my experience with Fedora (Gnome and KDE), Arch (KDE) and Ubuntu (Gnome) is the same. The same problem happens with all the three distros.
              Right now Nvidia doesn't have a way to guarantee frame timing. Right now the only way to get smooth performance is to brute force it by setting the GPU for maximum performance. Explicit sync is the capability to guarantee frame timing without brute forcing it and it won't be ready till this next round of distro releases.

Comment

It is NOT arbitrary... Windows and Mac don't have tens of thousands of contributors from a thousand companies contributing random code at random times for random reasons. It is not the same situation.
                What you are saying makes no sense, none of this has any impact on whether to add a stable ABI or not. I don't know if you realize, but the Linux kernel already has a stable ABI, its called syscalls/userspace.

The only thing that is being asked is to add another for GPU's, thats all. I mean clearly some of the Linux kernel dev's see a need, thats why DKMS exists its just that DKMS doesn't go the full way.

You need to stop coming up with excuses, the reason why such an ABI is not there is just that prominent Linux kernel dev's don't want it. There has never been either a technical or process justification presented (and no Linux kernel having contributions from lots of developers doesn't' count).
                Last edited by mdedetrich; 26 July 2024, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

What you are saying makes no sense, none of this has any impact on whether to add a stable ABI or not. I don't know if you realize, but the Linux kernel already has a stable ABI, its called syscalls/userspace.

The only thing that is being asked is to add another for GPU's, thats all. I mean clearly some of the Linux kernel dev's see a need, thats why DKMS exists its just that DKMS doesn't go the full way.

You need to stop coming up with excuses, the reason why such an ABI is not there is just that prominent Linux kernel dev's don't want it. There has never been either a technical or process justification presented (and no Linux kernel having contributions from lots of developers doesn't' count).
                  Well, if you don't even want to consider the issue that actually matters, then that is your fault. You say it doesn't count, but it's thee issue here...

EDIT: Linux is not user oriented, it is developer oriented. I don't see any way around that. It is the one issue that we are actually talking about and yet you dismiss it out of hand.
                  Last edited by duby229; 26 July 2024, 04:31 PM.

Comment

On Opensuse tumbleweed up-to-date KDE and nvidia open-kernel user-propertiary driver, I have no issues you mentioned. Only problem i have is passing to certain apps like Discord parameter to work on Wayland but that happens across any GPU.

Comment

Well, if you don't even want to consider the issue that actually matters, then that is your fault. You say it doesn't count, but it's thee issue here...
                      You can say that to handwave away anything to prove a point.

EDIT: Linux is not user oriented, it is developer oriented. I don't see any way around that. It is the one issue that we are actually talking about and yet you dismiss it out of hand.
                      You didn't actually say how Linux adding a kernel ABI detracts from it being "developer" orientated more than anything else. Again, Linux already has stable ABi's, they are called syscalls and as you know they are a pain in the ass for developers to work with but Linus still maintains thats needs to be that way (i.e. don't break userspace).

The linux kernel has many things in it that are much more developer unfriendly than an ABI, this is a really bad argument and you should stop putting it forward.

Comment

Working...
                      X