Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install ATi Open Source 3D driver on Fedora 11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install ATi Open Source 3D driver on Fedora 11?

Is there any tutorial to install 3D driver on Fedora 11?

There are not installed by Default ? Because all Mainstream Distros has the Free Drivers included.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      There are not installed by Default ? Because all Mainstream Distros has the Free Drivers included.
      Of course it's installed. But with no R6XX/R7XX support. So i will correct my question - How to install git versions of ati-dri/mesa/libgl/whateverelse to have support for R6XX/R7XX on Fedora 11?
      Last edited by shashilx; 18 August 2009, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I don't know if there are packages, you'll probably have to build from git.

You can start here: link for the drm bits (make sure to disable drm in the kernel, you might have to build it again)

Then you'll need mesa and ati driver from git too. You can look here for instructions, but I think that you will only need mesa and the radeon driver.
        Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 18 August 2009, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Sorry for lammer question but what is right way to do this on Fedora?

Comment

The right way would be to use your distribution packages, which don't exist

The second best thing would be to use experimental snapshot packages made for Fedora by somebody. I don't know if these exist, but it is possible. Perhaps somebody else will know.

The worst thing to do is to do what I described But this is the traditional UNIX way to do things and the only thing you can do with really bleeding edge software in many cases.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then it's probably best not to do it, and to wait for somebody to provide packages. In the worst case, you'll have to wait for the drm bits to enter the kernel (should be around 2.6.32) and for Mesa 7.6 to go stable. Which could take a couple of months (I'm guessing), but shouldn't take forever.

Comment

Requires a bit of effort since the libdrm_radeon F11 has isn't the same as the mainstream one. Shouldn't be that hard though. Should work. Just needs kernel modules and Mesa drivers installed. (I don't remember if the ddx is new enough to know to use r600_dri.so)

Comment

They might be in Rawhide, but I really wouldn't suggest that.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                  They might be in Rawhide, but I really wouldn't suggest that.
                  Nope, not in Rawhide yet, I think. Using it myself. Might end up getting pulled in at a later point if the r6xx/r7xx 3D gets ready enough.

Comment

I hope this help

and http://jbridgman.livejournal.com/945.html

BTW here are the build instructions I have been using (thanks Alex), modified to reflect the mesa code moving from a branch into master :

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Building libdrm and radeon and drm kernel modules from git:

1. git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/drm

2. cd drm

3. git checkout -b r6xx-r7xx-3d origin/r6xx-r7xx-3d

4. ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr

5. make

6. sudo make install

7. cd linux-core

8. make drm.o radeon.o

9. copy the new modules into your kernel tree. Depending on your kernel, either:

sudo cp drm.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

sudo cp radeon.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

or:

sudo cp drm.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/

sudo cp radeon.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/

10. sudo depmod -a

Building mesa from git:

1. git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa

2. cd mesa

3. ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --with-dri-drivers=r600 --disable-gallium

4. make

5. sudo make install

Building xf86-video-ati from git:

1. git-clone
                    git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati

2. cd xf86-video-ati

3. ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr

4. make

5. sudo make install

Comment

Working...
                    X