The First Release Of LXQt Is Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baemir View Post
    Did anyone actually want this? I've never heard or read any requests for something like this.
    Users should never care about the toolkit or technology used behind the scenes. They just want something that works - and for this crowd, what they want is something lightweight. Beyond that, nobody cares how it's done.

The developers wanted to get rid of gtk2, because it won't work with Wayland, and because it's old and ugly to code with. They experimented with gtk3 but eventually decided to use qt instead after they determined that it would fit their needs better.

Comment

So would this mean LXDE/LXQt is comming to Wayland with a near complete rewrite?
      If so that is great news.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
        The LXDE developers wanted to move to Qt, so they merged with razorQt. They couldn't stay on gtk2 forever.

The developers wanted it, it should have minimal user facing impact besides fancier UIs.
        From what I recall reading, it was the Razor-Qt devs that wanted to merge with LXDE after LXDE devs announced their intent to move to Qt, not the LXDE devs who wanted to merge with Razor-Qt. The Razor-Qt devs announced that they were finding it too difficult to continue forward as an independent project with how little manpower they had and that it didn't make sense for two lightweight Qt-based DEs to coexist and compete for user / developer share, so they decided to wrap their future development into LXDE instead.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
          Is anybody able to run this? I am getting some conflicts when trying to install lxqt-metapackage from the ppa recommended at lxqr.org

Code:
          E: /var/cache/apt/archives/lxinput-qt_0.0.1~bzr54+201402070754~ubuntu14.04.1_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/applications/lxqt-config-input.desktop', which is also in package lxqt-config 0.0.1+bzr185+201405060626~ubuntu14.04.1
          E: /var/cache/apt/archives/lxqt-session_0.0.1+bzr189+201405011905~ubuntu14.04.1_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/lxqt-xdg-tools/xdg-mime', which is also in package lxqt-about 0.0.1+bzr180+201402101933~ubuntu14.04.1
          Logging into the lxqt session takes me to a broken openbox session, with no panel, and no way to log out (right click and logout does nothing, so you need to restart lightm)

Cheers!
          Using the AUR package on Manjaro here, it technically logs in but... the notification area has rendering issues and the menu doesn't work. That _could_ be because I have it trying to use muffin as it's window manager, and it's like "wtf is this shit".
          (It forces you to choose a Window Manager when running it)

Originally posted by zanny View Post
          Cinnamon I'll admit is a pretty shortsighted decision on the parts of the Mint developers rather than just reskinning upstream Gnome. But I'm sure they have their reasons, and one of them is definitely how unresponsive to different use cases they are.

Mate isn't really a fork, it is just a continuation of gtk2. It is like if someone "forked" python2 to keep it going after 2020, it would not be much of a fork than maintenance on an old version. To my knowledge Mate isn't doing anything new on top of old Gnome 2 - if they were, I'd be complaining about why the hell they and xfce both exist.

Enlightenment and Elementary are both their own things, without many forking roots to any modern project. If you aren't being paid, you work on what you want in this case.
          Mate is a continuation of Gnome2, not GTK2 :P
          Also, the MATE developers have actually changed quite a lot of the old code, not just maintained/bug-fixed it. Recently, there have been many talks of porting MATE to GTK+3, despite the fact that the cost of doing so outweighs the benefits of just focusing on improving any of the other "lightweight" panel-based DEs with bigger user bases (*cough*XFCE*cough*)

Comment

So far, it looks good, it's a very good alternative for those who want something like KDE but lightweight. I already installed it in my system..

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
            Is anybody able to run this? I am getting some conflicts when trying to install lxqt-metapackage from the ppa recommended at lxqr.org

Code:
            E: /var/cache/apt/archives/lxinput-qt_0.0.1~bzr54+201402070754~ubuntu14.04.1_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/applications/lxqt-config-input.desktop', which is also in package lxqt-config 0.0.1+bzr185+201405060626~ubuntu14.04.1
            E: /var/cache/apt/archives/lxqt-session_0.0.1+bzr189+201405011905~ubuntu14.04.1_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/lxqt-xdg-tools/xdg-mime', which is also in package lxqt-about 0.0.1+bzr180+201402101933~ubuntu14.04.1
            Logging into the lxqt session takes me to a broken openbox session, with no panel, and no way to log out (right click and logout does nothing, so you need to restart lightm)

Cheers!
            IIRC, I had a similar problem, and the solution was to install lxqt-panel . I don't remember very well, but I think I had to install it manually or something.

Comment

So it's usable on Ubuntu 14.04? Well I'm only looking for a fast gaming desktop with session management (save windows at reboot like on OSX) right now. I don't really prefer qt to gtk2, rather the opposite for their looks...

Comment

Does anyone know what are the requirements to running it?

Specifically, I didn't find any information about needing a GPU for composition. I know that they used to rely on OpenBox however I have no idea what the Qt version is using.

Comment

YES!

I have been waiting for this since LXQT was announced.
                  Installed it from AUR yesterday, nearly everything was working but I cannot log out for now, it seems.
                  (I am still using lxdm instead of the recommended ssdm and every time I logout I end up with a blank screen. A systemctl restart lxdm fixes it)
                  There are still some performance and usability issues (Opening the menu takes ages if you open it for the first time after login, drag and drop from the menu to the desktop leads to a infinity copying dialogue etc) but for me it already works well enough to use it daily.
                  Hopefully, we will get a nice package in the main repo soon, compiling it from aur took soooo long.

[EDIT]
                  BTW: Does anybody know if it already works on wayland?
                  I think they are still using qt4 for now which could make some problems but I also saw some mails saying they want to port it to qt5 as well so they
                  get wayland support for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                    See Cinnamon, Mate, Elementary/Pantheon,??
                    Cinnamon is indeed a fork. Mate is technically a fork, but practically a continuation of Gnome 2: they could've called it Gnome Legacy. The Pantheon desktop is not a fork but it uses the Gnome libraries, thus any improvements in Gnome will carry over to Pantheon.

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post
                      YES!

I have been waiting for this since LXQT was announced.
                      Installed it from AUR yesterday, nearly everything was working but I cannot log out for now, it seems.
                      (I am still using lxdm instead of the recommended ssdm and every time I logout I end up with a blank screen. A systemctl restart lxdm fixes it)
                      There are still some performance and usability issues (Opening the menu takes ages if you open it for the first time after login, drag and drop from the menu to the desktop leads to a infinity copying dialogue etc) but for me it already works well enough to use it daily.
                      Hopefully, we will get a nice package in the main repo soon, compiling it from aur took soooo long.

[EDIT]
                      BTW: Does anybody know if it already works on wayland?
                      I think they are still using qt4 for now which could make some problems but I also saw some mails saying they want to port it to qt5 as well so they
                      get wayland support for cheap.
                      They are using Kwin, so for the wayland port it should be just a matter of Kwin port (by KDE) plus Qt5 port by LXQ
                      t devs.

Comment

Working...
                      X