Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Release Of LXQt Is Now Available

Phoronix: The First Release Of LXQt Is Now Available

The first release of LXQT is now available that's the Qt port of the lightweight LXDE desktop environment while paired with Razor-qt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by http://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/mailman/message/32310545/
    "The Linux community sees many forks but never any merges."
    The merge has been praised by a lot of members of this community.
    The Maui Project has joined our efforts in creating a better Qt
    desktop and together we hope to focus less on our differences and more
    on what we share.
    The KDE Project has, in their efforts in building the modular KDE
    Frameworks, opened new doors for Qt developers working with desktop
    libraries. KF5 libraries may soon power some LXQt components!
    In the same spirit, I would like other desktops to consider this an
    open invitation to come and talk to us about how we could benefit from
    each other's work.
    See Cinnamon, Mate, Elementary/Pantheon,??

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      See Cinnamon, Mate, Elementary/Pantheon,??
      Is this supposed to be an example of forks, or merges...?

Either way, I've been waiting to try out LXQt for ages and I'm compiling from the AUR right now D

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        Is this supposed to be an example of forks, or merges...?
        Obviously forks.

I hope they have fixed LXDE?s broken .desktop file parser.

Comment

Is anybody able to run this? I am getting some conflicts when trying to install lxqt-metapackage from the ppa recommended at lxqr.org

Code:
          E: /var/cache/apt/archives/lxinput-qt_0.0.1~bzr54+201402070754~ubuntu14.04.1_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/applications/lxqt-config-input.desktop', which is also in package lxqt-config 0.0.1+bzr185+201405060626~ubuntu14.04.1
          E: /var/cache/apt/archives/lxqt-session_0.0.1+bzr189+201405011905~ubuntu14.04.1_amd64.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/lxqt-xdg-tools/xdg-mime', which is also in package lxqt-about 0.0.1+bzr180+201402101933~ubuntu14.04.1
          Logging into the lxqt session takes me to a broken openbox session, with no panel, and no way to log out (right click and logout does nothing, so you need to restart lightm)

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
            Obviously forks.

I hope they have fixed LXDE?s broken .desktop file parser.
            Cinnamon I'll admit is a pretty shortsighted decision on the parts of the Mint developers rather than just reskinning upstream Gnome. But I'm sure they have their reasons, and one of them is definitely how unresponsive to different use cases they are.

Mate isn't really a fork, it is just a continuation of gtk2. It is like if someone "forked" python2 to keep it going after 2020, it would not be much of a fork than maintenance on an old version. To my knowledge Mate isn't doing anything new on top of old Gnome 2 - if they were, I'd be complaining about why the hell they and xfce both exist.

Enlightenment and Elementary are both their own things, without many forking roots to any modern project. If you aren't being paid, you work on what you want in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              Mate isn't really a fork
              Yes, it is.

Originally posted by zanny View Post
              Enlightenment and Elementary are both their own things, without many forking roots to any modern project. If you aren't being paid, you work on what you want in this case.
              Get a brain!

Comment

now waiting hard for merging with xfce... let's kill gtk!!!

aside from jokes, i'm very happy that these 2 have joined forces. Now i hope that the mate guys will realize that it would be better to just stop developing mate and go xfce..

Comment

Did anyone actually want this? I've never heard or read any requests for something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Baemir View Post
                    Did anyone actually want this? I've never heard or read any requests for something like this.
                    The LXDE developers wanted to move to Qt, so they merged with razorQt. They couldn't stay on gtk2 forever.

The developers wanted it, it should have minimal user facing impact besides fancier UIs.

Comment

Working...
                    X