The GNU Linux-libre 3.14-gnu Ultra-Free Kernel Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    could you explain just what you mean by this? The guesses I'm coming up with don't make much sense because I don't see the point you're getting at.
    It is like Divine Comedy - Inferno, Purgatorio and Paradiso . By "middle" he means both Inferno and Paradiso must be there for Purgatorio to exist .

Comment

I wonder how well this would work most computeres

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
        I wonder how well this would work most computeres
        The computers will almost always boot, but:

- no 3D for any AMD GPU (IGP or dedicated card)
        - no Wi-Fi for a handful of chipsets (Intel, some Broadcom, some Realtek...)
        - no Gigabit Ethernet

Comment

ok

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

- no Gigabit Ethernet
          ok not works in real world

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            This came up often times now, he simply can't, since he isn't the sole copyright owner of the kernel.
            He should have used a CLA!

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
              He should have used a CLA!
              this is why CLA is importante...
              for ANY project there needs to be something like this, or when you need ti relicense your f*ked xD

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                this is why CLA is importante...
                for ANY project there needs to be something like this, or when you need ti relicense your f*ked xD
                Nope. An "or later" clause + forking works as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  This came up often times now, he simply can't, since he isn't the sole copyright owner of the kernel.
                  AFAIK, Linus himself has no problem with what Tivo has done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw58LZTuZjA.

Comment

This still has real-world uses

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

- no Gigabit Ethernet
                    AMD gets hit with a technicality here: their 3d firmware is on disk, Nouveau generates it at runtime (don't know if this kernel will use it), and Intel writes it to ROM or flash on the CPU itself. OK, that means all of them use closed firmware, only AMD has to admit to it so far as this kernel is concerned.

What does that mean for real-world use? OK, there are special purposes for which 3d is totally unneeded, but auditablity of as much code as possible is needed. An example would be a pair of laptops used at the Snowden level for handling whistleblower information that could change the course of a war. One machine encrypted but never networked, used for decrypting the take. One laptop networked but only used for fetching the encrypted files to move them by USB. Everything bought randomly with cash and in disguise or through cutouts with no ID or store discount cards. OEM operating systems wiped and BIOS/UEFI replaced without ever activating. Damned hard for the NSA, FSS, et all to predict or detect which machines to attack.

You would use this fully-open source kernel over coreboot and under a no-firmware/no blobs OS, with the wifi card removed from the encrypted machine and one that will run on an open-only kernel added to the networked machine. By selecting AMD, you would block another set of firmware and reduce the attack surface for NSA-level attackers. Your source on the other end would do the same if he doesn't want to get waterboarded, hanged, or whatever the folks he is blowing the whistle on like to do to.

As for gigabit Ethernet, I've never once used or seen an Internet connection that could deliver more than 700kB per second, that being a library near closing with nobody else on the network. Since the wifi would deliver 2MB per second if simply connected to another computer, it was already faster than I could fully use for Internet. Only for a LAN or a server on a server-grade connection can I see a need for a gigabit ethernet card, at least with the telcos we have in the US.

Comment

This thing still exists?

I think Libre-Libre is an awful idea and can't understand why anyone would want to use it.

Comment

Working...
                      X