Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Posts Working "GK20A" Support For Nouveau

Phoronix: NVIDIA Posts Working "GK20A" Support For Nouveau

A NVIDIA Linux engineer has published a new set of twelve patches for the open-source Nouveau driver. These kernel patches paired with a modified Mesa driver yield a open-source combination that can start to run shaders and render triangles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

With this and the new mobile intel processor using hd graphics, could this be the year of the free graphic drivers on mobile?
    After that, we're just missing drivers for wifi (but I think some chipset already have something opensource) and for the cellular modem (when hell freezes...)

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
      With this and the new mobile intel processor using hd graphics, could this be the year of the free graphic drivers on mobile?
      After that, we're just missing drivers for wifi (but I think some chipset already have something opensource) and for the cellular modem (when hell freezes...)
      Nothing is said about performance, power management or functionality in general...

Comment

Originally posted by Spittie View Post
        AFAIK Tegra support is on the kernel side only. They have not released any user space code at all.

I believe the only reason NVIDIA even has open source kernel driver is because they are forced to do so.

On the desktop side, they have closed-source kernel module linking against Linux kernel's GPL code, but they don't distribute compiled driver and compiled kernel together - they only distribute the compiled driver, hence escaping legal problems. Users may decide to install and use compiled driver linked against compiled kernel module.

On the mobile side, they are shipping consumer hardware - they want to have the drivers preinstalled. In this case, they have to release the kernel module code, and driver is better off being mainline than not.

Comment

Working...
        X