No announcement yet.

Australis Interface Lands In Firefox Nightly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish they worked on useful things like startup time and the GUI freezes while pages are loading for example, or making the Add Bookmark feature usable, instead of breaking the UI again and again.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
      I wish they worked on useful things like startup time and the GUI freezes while pages are loading for example, or making the Add Bookmark feature usable, instead of breaking the UI again and again.
      Startup times for Nightly on my system is faster than Chrome, Chromium, and Opera. That's part of the reason why I use it. (Yes, that does involve addons that have to connect to the web, e.g. my RSS reader addon)

The GUI hasn't freezed on me yet with Australis. I think it's lagged once, but then again my computer is very much shite. The (I'm assuming) cleaner XUL could be to thank for that.

And I'm confused by what you mean "breaking the UI again and again". From what I can tell, the last time they "broke" the UI this bad was Firefox 4...

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      So... round corners everywhere and a tablet interface for the configuration. The dumbification of the world goes on. I guess I'll switch back to Lynx
      I think you've confused the difference between "touch friendly" and "tablet interface/dumbification". In my (pretty small) group of friends, over half of them have a touchscreen computer somewhere in their house.
      (Firefox already has a tablet version, so making a tablet interface on their desktop version would be weird...)

As for dumbification, I like to consider myself not-dumb and I like the interface. Since the menu is customizable, I can make it short and sweet with quick access to all the things I use a lot and none of the things I don't. I also like that I can place not-so-frequently-used addons in the menu, and the customization menu is much nicer now.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        And I'm confused by what you mean "breaking the UI again and again". From what I can tell, the last time they "broke" the UI this bad was Firefox 4...
        - Making the add bookmark popup tiny, impossible to resize, and with the list of folders hidden by default every time you open it.
        - Putting the tabs on top.
        - Removing the status (addon?) bar.
        - Changing some notifications (learn password) from a nice non intrusive bar at the top of the page content, to a non-standard popup that goes away as soon as you click anywhere else, eating this mouse click so you?re not actually clicking on what you wanted to click anymore, plus you don?t get to see the notification if it appeared just before you clicked, and you can?t do anything else before deciding if you want to click the button in the notification or not.
        - Replacing the menu with a stupid non-standard button so that you need one more click to do things.
        - Moving the load and reload buttons to the right of the address bar, making it hard to see and use.
        - Hiding the RSS button by default.
        - Now these ugly non-standard useless tabs.
        - On Windows and OSX, making it almost impossible to move the window because they put the tabs in the title bar. I don?t care about these platforms but I?m sure they?ll do it under Linux as soon as it is possible?

Several of these things can thankfully be reversed, but not all, and it?s annoying nonetheless?

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
          - Making the add bookmark popup tiny, impossible to resize, and with the list of folders hidden by default every time you open it.
          - Putting the tabs on top.
          - Removing the status (addon?) bar.
          - Changing some notifications (learn password) from a nice non intrusive bar at the top of the page content, to a non-standard popup that goes away as soon as you click anywhere else, eating this mouse click so you?re not actually clicking on what you wanted to click anymore, plus you don?t get to see the notification if it appeared just before you clicked, and you can?t do anything else before deciding if you want to click the button in the notification or not.
          - Replacing the menu with a stupid non-standard button so that you need one more click to do things.
          - Moving the load and reload buttons to the right of the address bar, making it hard to see and use.
          - Hiding the RSS button by default.
          - Now these ugly non-standard useless tabs.
          - On Windows and OSX, making it almost impossible to move the window because they put the tabs in the title bar. I don?t care about these platforms but I?m sure they?ll do it under Linux as soon as it is possible?

Several of these things can thankfully be reversed, but not all, and it?s annoying nonetheless?
          Point taken, but I mentioned "this bad" :P
          Like you said, most of those can be reversed (whether in the preferences or directly in about:config), while Australis cannot, thus making it a bigger "break" than those :P

I'm confused again, though. You mentioned "non-standard" a couple times in your list, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that... since there's not exactly a "standard" to browser interfaces aside from tabs+menu button(s)...

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            Look at the add-ons and pick up the theme of your choice.
            So it is just a new theme? I had thing it is some kind of new UI :P, that good because I am already using GTK theme .

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post
              So it is just a new theme? I had thing it is some kind of new UI :P, that good because I am already using GTK theme .
              It's sort of complicated... There are add-on/themes that can change the entire interface, but many don't.
              Australis IS an entire new interface, not just a new theme. The colors and everything are still the same "default" colors, controlled by your GTK theme :P

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                It's sort of complicated... There are add-on/themes that can change the entire interface, but many don't.
                Australis IS an entire new interface, not just a new theme. The colors and everything are still the same "default" colors, controlled by your GTK theme :P
                Yes I know, but I don't like how the tabs looks in the new or old UI too, I like square tabs .

Comment

Originally posted by paulf
                  Then again they did decide to abandon 64bit as well.
                  Well, that's not entirely true + Who really cares? ...That's a Windows-only issue and not even a big deal, as there are 3rd party builds and *Mozilla does provide nightly x64 builds*, for those really wanting 64bit Firefox in Windows; http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o....installer.exe ... Obviously, this is a non-issue for Mac and Linux users...

hell, Firefox x64 even runs in Wine. <I'd know, as i have a couple of (wine) apps / websites that don't work properly, without having a browser installed in Wine... things like OS detection, or some app-specific bit that with linux browser won't work>. ie: i use Firefox/Nightly x64 in Wine64 for those occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                    So... round corners everywhere and a tablet interface for the configuration. The dumbification of the world goes on. I guess I'll switch back to Lynx
                    Here. A little something that was suggested to me when I grumbled about it elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                    X