Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New ATI drivers - black screen, system freeze and crash. Anyone in the same boat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bridgman, that sounds like that is the exact issue I am having, although the lockups seem to be ""random"". Only when the videocard is being somewhat stressed on my system. I'll mess around with this and see what happens. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
      I get similar lockups to the OP with the 3650 whenever I log out of KDE(3) or try to start a second, additional Xserver (with X :1 -layout layoutname).
      I'm sorry. I missed this two details. Your problem is different.

Originally posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
      Code:
      cat /proc/mtrr
      reg00: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size=2048MB: write-back, count=1
      reg01: base=0x80000000 (2048MB), size=1024MB: write-back, count=1
      reg02: base=0xc0000000 (3072MB), size= 256MB: write-back, count=1
      I'm pretty sure I don't have any memory remap options in my BIOS, if there's something I can do with the mtrr please let me know.
      Your system has 4GB ram and your bios do memory remapping by default. But your mtrr table handles only 3328MB. Please cat /proc/meminfo.

Comment

bridgman: I did try editing authatieventsd.sh to point to /var/run/xauth right after updating my BIOS - but I must thank you anyway for mentioning that(thanks!), because I've just realized I never restarted atieventsd afterwards, only kdm. Presumably that would be necessary for the change to make any difference eh? There's always a little detail I've missed somewhere! I'll try this again shortly.

edit: I installed fglrx 8.3, stopped atieventsd, edited /etc/ati/authatieventsd.sh and started atieventsd again, all in single user mode before X started. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have made any difference, it's still locking up on logout. I rebooted and tried again but it still locked up. /edit

Originally posted by zappbrannigan
        Your system has 4GB ram ... But your mtrr table handles only 3328MB
        that doesn't sound very good
        here you go:
        Code:
        $cat /proc/meminfo
        MemTotal:      4055724 kB
        MemFree:       2719492 kB
        Buffers:          1812 kB
        Cached:         921208 kB
        SwapCached:          0 kB
        Active:         458556 kB
        Inactive:       785172 kB
        SwapTotal:      522072 kB
        SwapFree:       522072 kB
        Dirty:             272 kB
        Writeback:           0 kB
        AnonPages:      320856 kB
        Mapped:          78920 kB
        Slab:            38944 kB
        SReclaimable:    22380 kB
        SUnreclaim:      16564 kB
        PageTables:      11396 kB
        NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
        Bounce:              0 kB
        CommitLimit:   2549932 kB
        Committed_AS:   626108 kB
        VmallocTotal: 34359738367 kB
        VmallocUsed:     59328 kB
        VmallocChunk: 34359677947 kB
        HugePages_Total:     0
        HugePages_Free:      0
        HugePages_Rsvd:      0
        HugePages_Surp:      0
        Hugepagesize:     2048 kB
        Last edited by oblivious_maximus; 28 March 2008, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I also had a system freeze with fglrx and after removing the line
          Code:
          BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
          from xorg.conf I haven't had a freeze yet.

Update:
          I have just had a freeze
          Last edited by damdim; 30 March 2008, 06:45 AM.

Comment

My freeze happens whenever the server tries to start up. I don't have the ability to tweek that UDA/SIDEPORT crap, so I'm stuck. I hope ATI fixes this problem soon, because I'm tired of looking at this aspect ratio from outer space (1400x1050). I'm going to remember this the next time I shop for a video card. I've also not forgotten when the ATI Rage would freeze my system if I had the colour set to 32-bits.
            Last edited by Angus; 31 March 2008, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Angus, that sounds like a completely different problem. I looked back through the thread and didn't find any reference to UDA or sideport, can you fill us in ?

How is the aspect ratio tied into all this ?

If you are freezing at startup is there anything relevent in the logs ?
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Angus, that sounds like a completely different problem. I looked back through the thread and didn't find any reference to UDA or sideport, can you fill us in ?

How is the aspect ratio tied into all this ?

If you are freezing at startup is there anything relevent in the logs ?
                Really? Oh, perhaps I read about the UDA/SIDEPORT thing somewhere else. UDA is supposedly when the video card uses shared memory, and SIDEPORT is when it uses its on-board memory. I also read that if the card is configured for SIDEPORT only, the driver causes a freeze. Others have had the good fortune of BIOSes that allow them to select among those modes, but mine does not. Here's something to look at: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Tro...nd_SIDEPORT.29

The reason I have an aspect ratio from hell is that the resolution that gives me the closest ratio to 16:10 offered by sax2 is 1400x1050. I hate that! I'd prefer a 1280x1024 monitor over this stretched widescreen, but the only 4:3 monitors we have around here are analogue only, and my card is DVI only.

I could try running it again and post those log messages you are looking for, if you like. I don't know where to look though.
                Last edited by Angus; 31 March 2008, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Angus View Post
                  Really? Oh, perhaps I read about the UDA/SIDEPORT thing somewhere else. UDA is supposedly when the video card uses shared memory, and SIDEPORT is when it uses its on-board memory. I also read that if the card is configured for SIDEPORT only, the driver causes a freeze. Others have had the good fortune of BIOSes that allow them to select among those modes, but mine does not.
                  Thanks, Angus. Guessing that you are running an RS690 aka X1200/1250/1270 ?

The reason I have an aspect ratio from hell is that the resolution that gives me the closest ratio to 16:10 offered by sax2 is 1400x1050. I hate that! I'd prefer a 1280x1024 monitor over this stretched widescreen, but the only 4:3 monitors we have around here are analogue only, and my card is DVI only.
                  Ahh, you're probably falling back to the Vesa driver I guess ? That would explain the limited modes.

Just curious, what is the native resolution of your monitor ?

I could try running it again and post those log messages you are looking for, if you like. I don't know where to look though.
                  You mentioned Sax2 - are you running OpenSuSE ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Thanks, Angus. Guessing that you are running an RS690 aka X1200/1250/1270 ?
                    No, it's an HD2600Pro.

Ahh, you're probably falling back to the Vesa driver I guess ? That would explain the limited modes.

Just curious, what is the native resolution of your monitor ?
                    1680x1050

You mentioned Sax2 - are you running OpenSuSE ?
                    Yes I am.

I don't suppose you think you know a solution.

Comment

No, it's an HD2600Pro.

(native resolution) 1680x1050

(running OpenSuSE ?) Yes I am.

I don't suppose you think you know a solution.
                      OK, this helps. If you're running an HD2600 then UMA and Sideport are not an issue for you anyways -- they just affect the IGP parts (graphics integrated into the Northbridge part of the chipset on your motherboard).

Is your card AGP or PCIE (PCI Express) ?

Is it safe to assume there are no built-in graphics on your motherboard ?

Can someone jump in and point out where the relevant logs are for OpenSuSE ? I *think* they're in the same place on most Linux distros but don't want to mislead.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X