No announcement yet.

NVIDIA To Begin Publishing Open GPU Documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great news. Let's see if this has anything to do with Valve.

Comment

Awesome News

I'm glad to see my chosen GPU Vendor (finally) starting to go in this direction... Hopefully, they'll start pushing out more documentation ~ getting those resources out to developers who want/need it.

However, while this is great news; I really want EGL/Wayland support in "the blob". I'm not interested in using nouveau/Wayland, beyond what testing i have done, here and there, already. (just to try/checkout Wayland a few times).

Maybe with some luck, they'll push a beta release of the binary driver with EGL, in a few releases. ~ I'm not holding my breathe (that it will be that soon), but then again; i also didn't expect to read about them pushing documentation, either

Comment

Don't get the excitement...

NVIDIA is releasing public documentation on certain aspects of our GPUs,
        with the intent to address areas that impact the out-of-the-box usability
        of NVIDIA GPUs with Nouveau
        So the intent is to make sure the GPUs run with Nouveau, and that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
          Disagree. Due to power draw, APU's are never going to advance past entry-level performance. Desktops and high end systems are still going to need dedicated GPU's as a result.
          Good luck with that thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
            the first reason is hidden inside the 3.11 kernel
            I'm curious about that now...
            Dynamic power management for Radeon?

Last time I tried Nouveau (1 year ago), it halved the battery life of my laptop.
            On the plus side, VGA output worked right out of the box (and I could configure desktop sharing through KDE's settings), something that has NEVER worked with the blob ? a life-saver on presentations!

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
              the first reason is hidden inside the 3.11 kernel
              Dynamic power management for Radeon?

Last time I tried Nouveau (1 year ago), it halved the battery life of my laptop.
              On the plus side, VGA output worked right out of the box (and I could configure desktop sharing through KDE's settings), something that has NEVER worked with the blob ? a life-saver on presentations!

Comment

Leaving aside the details, I think this is quite significant. A lot of big players are very unhappy with Microsoft. Microsoft uses its monopoly power to straight jacket any opposition. but maybe things are starting to break, a lot of Microsoft's so called partners are seeing the chance to break out.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post
                  I used to build my own gaming rigs... in retrospect, this is a waste of time - unless you're in it for the hobbyist/enthusiastic aspect, in the end it is always more expensive than buying an xbox, nintendo, PS, whatever..... plus, there are titles that are game console-specific that are the most interesting games to play (Zelda, for instance)... will likely never see a port to anything other than Nintendo. Your gaming rig will also be obsolete in about 6 months, while consoles last several years before they are updated.

If you want to play games - buy a console. For work, buy a laptop with integrated GPUs (such as Intel's HD/Iris). Let us stop this dogma that one computer has to do it all and do it best - it shouldn't - unless you're willing to fork over a premium, and most people aren't.
                  Games look way better on a PC and are more open (eg. custom maps/mods) so you can't really say that... but we're getting off-topic here.

Comment

Ooooh... Nvidia is feeling the heat? Goodd for Nvidia! But, what I wonder is, what have not been released that developers would like/need to have?

Comment

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
                      But, what I wonder is, what have not been released that developers would like/need to have?
                      Pretty much everything.. so far anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X