Problem with Textured Video and fglrx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Textured Video and fglrx

From reading the posts from bridgman the XV overlay is not recommended on newer cards and the use of Textured Video is preferred.
    I have a Radeon HD 2600 XT and from what I read this card belongs to the newer cards which should use Textured Video. My problem is that I think the card is not using Textured Video although I have
    Code:
    Option  "TexturedVideo" "on"
    Option  "VideoOverlay" "off"
    in my xorg.conf. The Xorg.0.log also says
    Code:
    (**) fglrx(0): Textured Video is enabled.
    But when running Compiz and playing a video the output is not redirected and I can't recognize anything in it. Its the same effect like running glxgears except that I can recognize it.

Is there anything I can do or is it a problem with the driver?

I'm getting conflicting answers about whether or not the current X framework will properly handle textured video under compiz in a window without serious driver hacks.

There is a compiz option (something like "don't redirect on fullscreen") which helps for fullscreen but that won't help when playing in a window. There are also mplayer patches and a Compiz video plugin which seem like they may both be part of the solution for flicker-free video under Compiz.

EDIT - in the "interesting coincidence" department, here is recent mention of a patched mplayer link :

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=44985

AFAIK the patch essentially hooks into the xv output of mplayer and redirects it to the Compiz video plug-in, so you're probably not actually using our new Xv code. If so, we'll eventually need to figure out some way to combine the flicker-free behaviour of the plug-in with the low CPU utilization of Xv.

I'm guessing that the "pedepy" user on Arch is also pedepy here - if so, *thanks !!*.
    Last edited by bridgman; 08 March 2008, 06:06 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Ah okay thanks for your answer. From reading the comments here http://airlied.livejournal.com/56998.html I thought that it works without patching.

Originally posted by Anonym
      I'm not sure exactly what is textured video - is that related to exa, do I need to enable exa to get this improvement? (I use r300)
      Originally posted by ajaxxx
      Textured video is an alternative way of doing Xv acceleration. Basically there are two methods, overlay and texture. Overlay video doesn't play nice with compiz because you can't redirect it, so your video just pokes straight through when you rotate the cube.

Textured video allows the compositing manager the chance to grab the video stream back from the graphics card and transform it into place in the composited desktop.

It's not a function of EXA.

Comment

That was my initial impression as well, but at least with Compiz it doesn't seem to be that simple.
        Test signature

Comment

I think i have a problem with textured video too.

I had to add: options "TexturedVideo" "on", to my xorg.conf file, because it was needed by skype to have the webcam video scale properly with the window size. I works fine now.

But now a have a problem with kaffeine when i watch tv over dvb-t. After a few seconds i get kicked out out of X. I works fine with other videos i have on the pc so far. It only crashes with tv. Any idea why and how i can overcome this?

Using a X700 mobile with an up to date openSuSE 10.3, and latest catalyst.

regards,
          Carlos

Comment

Working...
          X