Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 7.0 Desktop Coming To Ubuntu 13.04

Phoronix: Unity 7.0 Desktop Coming To Ubuntu 13.04

The Unity 7 desktop has been granted a feature freeze exception so that the updated desktop with "a lot of new code" can be landed in Ubuntu 13.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Either Phoronix has an anti-Ubuntu bias, or Ubuntu is really screwing things up lately.

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years. Does anyone have thoughts on better/more standard distros to jump ship to? And the best way to do so?

Comment

Originally posted by blaisepascal View Post
      Either Phoronix has an anti-Ubuntu bias, or Ubuntu is really screwing things up lately.
      The latter
      I've been using Ubuntu for a few years. Does anyone have thoughts on better/more standard distros to jump ship to?
      Debian, Gentoo, Slackware
      And the best way to do so?
      Just do it. You won't regret.

Comment

Originally posted by blaisepascal View Post

I've been using Ubuntu for a few years. Does anyone have thoughts on better/more standard distros to jump ship to? And the best way to do so?
        I didn't pick up a bias in this article. Personally, I use Ubuntu/Unity every day and I am happy with it. I think it's nicer than the old Gnome. 95% of the time I am in a web browser, shell window, or some type of IDE or text editor, or maybe a desktop instant messaging client. Unity is fine for basic task bar, app switching, log in/out, and WiFi selection type stuff.

Comment

Does anyone have thoughts on better/more standard distros to jump ship to? And the best way to do so?
          Opensuse, Fedora, or if you like debs, Debian Testing, or Mint.

Suse uses apparmor, Fedora uses selinux. Fedora has been falling flat on its face recently, and Suse 12.3 just came out slick and smooth, so I'd probably go Suse right now. I mean, I use Arch, but for the fire and forget OS I'd go Suse right now.

Comment

Originally posted by 3coma3 View Post
            Debian, Gentoo, Slackware
            Politics, old software, lack of user-friendliness and nothing else, not better than Ubuntu, by far.

If you want to try OpenSUSE: it's insanely slow in general, including booting.

Comment

Ubuntu is still the best distro by far. Don't like the upcoming changes (that might be more than a year away)? Stick with Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS.

Comment

My main distro is SLACKWARE...but for the ones that prefer the "UBUNTU Way" of trying to simply everything (personally i prefer to have maximum control , that's why i prefer SLACKWARE) i recomend Linux Mint XFCE or Cinnamon editions (i prefer XFCE....thats also what i use with SLACKWARE).

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Ubuntu is still the best distro by far. Don't like the upcoming changes (that might be more than a year away)? Stick with Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS.
                  I didn't like the change to Unity, either, so I'd have to go to the LTS before then, at least. It's not the upcoming changes, per se, I don't like. It's the existing changes, and the attitude by Canonical that lead to Unity, and now Mir, that I don't like.

The thing I don't like about this story is Ubuntu breaking their own rules about last-minute changes in order to push Unity 7.0, despite it not being ready in time. It probably won't affect me since I run Gnome Desktop, not Unity.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                    Politics, old software, lack of user-friendliness and nothing else, not better than Ubuntu, by far.

If you want to try OpenSUSE: it's insanely slow in general, including booting.
                    Actually reviews have commented on how 12.2 was fast, and it's been far from slow in anything in my usage so... you can argue about openSUSE 12.3 but I haven't tested the full release yet (checked it out in RC2 and it was fine) and as it's the first day there aren't significant amounts of reviews out yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X