HD 2600 PRO AGP - driver problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by philosopher0926 View Post
    Bridgman, did you check on the XT support? Is 8.6 good to go, or will Phoenix's and my problems be resolved next month?
    I think it isn't the driver that's causing the problems, it's the distro. I've tried the driver on OpenSuse, Slackware and Zenwalk and it works perfectly.

Comment

• I have HD 2600 Pro AGP and I am using 8.6 Catalyst and Ubuntu 8.04 on both computers where I tryed to use it.
      On first computer: Every time I run glxgears, World of Warcraft or Compiz computer locks up and I have tu hard reboot.. When I set "Bus Type" "PCI" then it is OK, but it has very poor performance about 5FPS in 1024x768 in World of Wacraft compared to 15FPS with Radeon 9600 SE with "Bus Type" "AGP"
      On second computer: glxgears, fgl_glxgears and compiz are working fine, but when I launch world of warcraft whole screen just brakes to small squares, as you can see on this photo:
      On screenshot, screen looks normal..
      With nvidia gf 6800 I have no problems at all with same settings in wow as with this radeon..
      And with this radeon a have 2700FPS in glxgears and with old nvidia i have 10 000 so there is big space for improvements in fglrx.

I was conviced to buy Radeon HD 4850 with my new computer but it seems that I will have to buy GF 8800GT as I wanted before, because I want to play WoW in linux not to wait months for drivers

Comment

• Originally posted by Josko View Post
        I
        I was conviced to buy Radeon HD 4850 with my new computer but it seems that I will have to buy GF 8800GT as I wanted before, because I want to play WoW in linux not to wait months for drivers
        Well, going by what Bridgman says, it looks like ATI told card manufacturers to not make AGP cards, but they did anyway. So ATI is playing catch-up to something that shouldn't have happened.

Just check into the linux driver quality for the 4850 before writing it off.

Comment

• FYI I'm not exactly sure what the card mfgs were told, ie where the disconnect was.
          Test signature

Comment

• there also exists 3870 agp.. does this work? :P

Comment

• Now I know that ATI told card manufacturers to not make AGP cards, but I think that when they are selling chips for it they can also make drivers, not can but they must... How can I knew that before buying that card that it is not suppored. I just came to the store and it was only AGP card so I bought it and I was shocked that it was not working at all - hang up of X Server till 8.5..
              And I don't know how is the support for 4850 like, but I know one thing: new series of ati GPU's beginning of 2XXX doesnt work in Wine epecialy Direct3D programs and also OpenGL (for example WoW).. If 4850 will have fully working Wine support (Everything what nvidia support for example HL2:EP2 and World of Warcraft) and of course working 2D acceleration not like this 2600 Pro AGP I'll surely buy it...

But back to my problem what can cause that breaking into squares and sync artifact on second computer(hangs up on first is common problem that can be workarounded, but with very poor performance)?
              Last edited by Josko; 25 June 2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• I also had that problem in Ubuntu. In Mandriva i have a similar problem in WoW, i can only see the textures in OpenGl(no models) mode with wine 1.0 . In Directx it works perfectly, except for the fact that it can't generate more than 7 fps(i think you should start getting used to 7 fps if you don't want to buy Cedega).

And i think i'm going back to my nvidia 6600, i don't care if it's old the only thing i'm using my GPU now is for my OpenGL experiments and with my level of knowledge the 6600 is more than perfect.

Comment

But back to my problem what can cause that breaking into squares and sync artifact on second computer(hangs up on first is common problem that can be workarounded, but with very poor performance)?
                  I just think that the driver is still buggy =)

FYI, I get similar corruption of the screen, if I enable AGP on my computer (a Socket A system with a SiS chipset), when running OpenGL applications, if the computer doesn't hardlock (which it usually does in a minute). It might be that the AGP support is working on some mb's chipsets but not on others.

EDIT: The issue I described is not the same, it was a different one. In addition, newer drivers work OK for me - except, now I do get the corruption described here and in the post below =). Enabling / disabling AGP has no effect on this corruption. And, also, with 8.6 I can enable AGP support!. Btw. I can trigger the corruption with dosbox - open it / toggle it to fullscreen, when you go back to windowed the whole desktop is corrupted as long as dobox is running - it fixes itself when you close dosbox. Same thing with mplayer, if I use gl, gl2 or xv (texturedvideo) for output. So this has something to do with OpenGL and modesetting. Though, with Wine, the desktop remains corrupted forever, even after I close wine - I need to close the whole X sessin. A very annoying bug, this is.

I haven't tried 8.6 yet (because I've been busy) but from what I read here, it's the same as 8.5 in this aspect (though I think they may have fixed the TV-out problems, according to the changelog).

EDIT: I have tried 8.6 now. See above for sesults =)

EDIT: For me, too, (fgl_)glxgears seem to rune without problems with AGP enabled.
                  Last edited by Mr. Hilarious; 26 July 2008, 06:12 AM.

Comment

On second computer: glxgears, fgl_glxgears and compiz are working fine, but when I launch world of warcraft whole screen just brakes to small squares, as you can see on this photo:
                    I have same error that Josko with Sapphire HD 2600 Pro on Kubuntu 8.04. glxgears and fgl_glxgears goes fine, can play openarena but when I try to play Warcraft III screen goes crazy, similar to Josko's screen.

We are improving, but sooo slowly. I agree these cards should never have touched stores.

Comment

• internal agp

Because of the low fps and crashes in 3d games,i was looking if there's a problem about card detection and searching other ways to try.
                      i was trying to make it work with internal agp,and the command:
                      Xorg -scanpci returned this to stderr:

Probing for PCI devices (Bus:device:Function)

(0:0:0) nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (different version?)
                      (0:0:1) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1
                      (0:0:2) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4
                      (0:0:3) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3
                      (0:0:4) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2
                      (0:0:5) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5
                      (0:1:0) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge
                      (0:1:1) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP)
                      (0:2:0) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller
                      (0:2:1) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller
                      (0:2:2) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller
                      (0:4:0) unknown card (0x1462/0x570c) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet Controller
                      (0:6:0) unknown card (0x1462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97 Audio Controler (MCP)
                      (0:8:0) nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge
                      (0:9:0) unknown card (0xf462/0x5700) using a nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE
                      (0:30:0) nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP
                      (2:0:0) unknown card (0x1002/0x0028) using an unknown chip (DeviceId 0x9587) from ATI Technologies Inc

is it recognized or not(internal agp)?
                      and which busid should i use in xorg.conf:
                      BusID "PCI:?"

and ati control center shows the card as pci-e and the speed 4x(my agp supports 8x):

why does it show like that?

Comment

Working...
                      X