No announcement yet.

HD 2600 PRO AGP - driver problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im unable to get the driver working. Could somebody please post there xorg.conf file? I have a hd 2600 pro card and im running kubuntu 8.04

Comment

• Originally posted by capitalistpiglet View Post
      Im unable to get the driver working. Could somebody please post there xorg.conf file? I have a hd 2600 pro card and im running kubuntu 8.04
      All I can tell you is how to properly install those driver manually
      Will it work for an Ubuntu base distro? I don't know for sure.

In order to install the AMD driver you need the kernel devel package or the kernel source for the kernel you are using, the command uname -r will tell you which kernel version you are running.

then use the Free driver for your card and remove all the fglrx package.

now all you have to do is execute the the AMD driver with root privilege and type the command aticonfig --initial and reboot.

tell us how it went.

Comment

• Driver version 8.49.7 release ID UNSUPPORTED-8.491 still hangs on my hog.
        I have HIS RadeonHD 2600 XT AGP IceQ "Turbo" GDDR3 512MB,
        on a ABIT AV8 socket 939 VIA K8T800Pro mobo with 4GB DDR DRAM,
        using AMD 4800+ 64X2 dualcore CPU running Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64.

I tried with several AGP apertures (256, 512, 64) and a rather basic / minimalistic (pretty much aticonfig initial default with Overlay="Xv" added.) /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        It still hangs the display with total darkness (monitor does receive sync), after /var/log/Xorg.log says "Exposed events to the /proc interface" ... system needs an NMI / alt-SysRq-B or hard reset to recover.

I've parked my Xorg.log.0 from the last unsuccesful attempt at http://pastebin.org/38151
        For some weirdo reason the kernel module claims Interrupt 18 according to the console while booting, yet later in the Xorg.log I can see it installs the fglrx interrupt handler at IRQ11 ... I'm stumped.

-edit- In my Xorg.log it still says the "(II) fglrx(0): [pcie] 261120 kB allocated" in the midst of all the [agp] messages.
        Can someone for who the new driver is now working on their agp card please check for me whether it still says that in their Xorg.log? If it does say that, then it's not related to my problem, but I've had my suspicions for a while.
        Last edited by Swoopy; 24 May 2008, 03:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fred View Post
          In conclusion the Linux driver has 79% of the performance of the Windows XP driver!
          Interesting fact in catalyst (WinXP) the memory clock for my card is set at 500 Mhz and in Linux Catalyst show the memory clock at 400 Mhz 400/500= .8 * 100 = 80%

If I could set the memory clock manually in Linux to 500 Mhz I think that the result would be about the same.

Note: the result of the time demo is the last result of tree benchmark.
          I have 400MHz for memory and also 400MHz in Linux, but this release is good I think and need only fix some bugs. With new release I think than all will be ok

Comment

• Ive finally got it working . At last ati have released drivers for this card. For anybody else using ubuntu I got it working using this guide. http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide .

Comment

• I also do test with Doom 3, and 2 others application.

My config is: Athlon XP 2000+, 2GB Ram, Radeon 2600 PRO 512MB, Fedora 9 (with Fedora 8 Xorg), Windows XP Home with SP3, Catalyst 8.5

This is result:

Doom 3 Heigh details (Shadows: ON) 1280x1024
              WinXP: 25 FPS
              Linux: 21 FPS (84% compare to WinXP performance)

Doom 3 Heigh details (Shadows: OFF) 1280x1024
              WinXP: 35 FPS
              Linux: 28 FPS (80% compare to WinXP performance)

Irrlicht BSP map demo (vertex drawing + textures) 640x480
              WinXP: 331 FPS
              Linux: 181 FPS (55% compare to WinXP performance)

Irrlicht PerPixel Lighting demo (vertex drawing + textures + Parallax shader) 640x480
              WinXP: 135 FPS
              Linux: 110 FPS (81% compare to WinXP performance)

The worst performance is in Irrlicht BSP map demo (my standard testing application), so I think than on Linux Drivers vertex drawing is slower than WinXP Drivers, because in other demos when we have shaders etc. difference is smaller. I think than vertex drawing need speed up in next Catalyst and with it, Linux and Windows drivers performance will be similar
              Last edited by nadro; 24 May 2008, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Swoopy View Post
                -edit- In my Xorg.log it still says the "(II) fglrx(0): [pcie] 261120 kB allocated" in the midst of all the [agp] messages.
                Can someone for who the new driver is now working on their agp card please check for me whether it still says that in their Xorg.log? If it does say that, then it's not related to my problem, but I've had my suspicions for a while.
                Yes I have a working AGP X1600pro with 512mem and GART 512 and have that message.

The 8-5 drivers did not solve the need to set GART to 512 for me.

Comment

• Gosh, after not less than 6 months i got my sapphire hd2600 pro agp working with fglrx. Better late than never, Ati...
                  I shouldn't complain that much, i can't believe i've got 2d and 3d acceleration, this got me switch back to win for a month, since even scrolling a page was a pain due to vesa driver being the only ones supporting the board.

Comment

• It doesn't matter now, but did you have a chance to try the open source drivers (radeonhd or radeon) ? Both of them should have worked with your card and while neither had HW acceleration they should have still given much better performance than the vesa driver.

Anyways, glad you're up and running now. If it makes you feel any better, Linux and Windows support came at the same time
                    Last edited by bridgman; 24 May 2008, 01:41 PM.
                    Test signature

Comment

• Another succes story!

But, I needed to disable AGP by setting "BusType" "PCI" in xorg.conf. But, OTOH, after I did that, I seem to have a working, accelerated 2D desktop, and 3D applications also work! I'd presume performance is subpar because I'm forcing the card into PCI mode, but it is a lot better than no DRI at all and a nearly useless 2D performance. Hope this information is helpful to some .

Here Here is a link to my xorg.conf and logs.

Btw. when I was testing it in AGP mode, I tried explicitely disabling AGPFastWrites, among other things, but they didn't help. See the xorg.conf.old file in the link above.

Though, it should be noted I only have one application installed to test DRI: stepmania Though I'd assume anything more advanced would have even poorer performance. Stepmania is very much playable . Glxgears and fgl_fglrxgears seemed to run OK, even AGP enabled, though

But, the bottom line: finally my MSI HD2600 AGP card is useful!

p.s. I'm using TV-out, with PAL output. I'm having some problems and there are workarounds, which I won't discuss here since it's OT. If someone is having problems with colours and TV-out, PM me. And, brigdman, if you are interested in getting the tv-out working properly, PM me if you didn't get my previous message, I assume your inbox is full

Also, because the TV-out problems I need to switch to a VC and back to VC7 (CTRL+ALT+F1,F7) to get coloured output to my TV. As there have been problems with switching between a VC and the X session and ATI drivers before, this could of course cause some of my problems.

Comment

Working...
                      X