AMD, open up more than code!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD, open up more than code!

8.41 was just a noob attempt at getting your fanbase back. Seriously, just bloody open up. By open up, not necessarily code. ATI has always sucked at talking directly to its customers. Just look at the nvidia linux forum. The devs actually have these things called... errr... conversational skills.

You rely on people with nasty NDA compromises to represent the company for you. What the f*ck is that. This is not a rhetorical question, why can't you build your own forum so people can give feedback directly to you?

Try using your own hardware and bandwidth instead of piggybacking on ad sustained forums.

Yes a forum would really help where ATI developers are allowed to post, I guess they are not allowed to do so. nvnews is not owned by NV, but any "wellknown" board would be ok for support, it is not needed to create a new one.

Comment

AMD's Matthew Tippett has posted here before. Though when they are busy working on a driver, why should they spend their time just talking on forums? They still have a lot of work to do.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I don't care if they talk on forums. But it would be really nice if they would say something on the unofficial bug tracker. Maybe they post comments but I've not seen one with either AMD/ATI in the name or E-Mail address.
        Something like "We know about/working on this issue", "Can you please also post the output of XY", "This is not a bug in fglrx but in X", "This will be fixed for ?.??" or "We wont fix it because XY" should be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by thoemy View Post
          I don't care if they talk on forums. But it would be really nice if they would say something on the unofficial bug tracker. Maybe they post comments but I've not seen one with either AMD/ATI in the name or E-Mail address.
          Something like "We know about/working on this issue", "Can you please also post the output of XY", "This is not a bug in fglrx but in X", "This will be fixed for ?.??" or "We wont fix it because XY" should be enough.
          Look at who is CCed on most (or all) of the bug reports: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=123 ATI/AMD does use the BugZilla even though they don't post many replies.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

When they are too busy then they should hire more developers. Every other enterprise would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              AMD's Matthew Tippett has posted here before. Though when they are busy working on a driver, why should they spend their time just talking on forums? They still have a lot of work to do.
              I'll say... And it's not Matthew's fault that they still have a lot to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                When they are too busy then they should hire more developers. Every other enterprise would do that.
                You'd think that, but they did a global, company-wide RIF by 5% at the beginning of the year to appease the daytraders; even if they wanted to staff up the group like they needed to, they couldn't have done so because it'd have opened them up to EEOC suits (Why are you laying off here and hiring there??).

Unfortunately for AMD, they bought ATI whose upper management was chasing the set-top and DirectX space to the detriment of a lot of other things. They ended up being trapped and the acquisition of ATI gave AMD serious financial indigestion. Long term, I think the prognosis is good for things (IF they can keep jamming out the specs for an Open Sourced 3D driver and they come clean on the fact that they're in a bit of a sticky spot right now because they're way understaffed for this segment of the business...) but for now they're still just flopping about like a fish out of water.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Look at who is CCed on most (or all) of the bug reports: http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=123 ATI/AMD does use the BugZilla even though they don't post many replies.
                  Yes, Matthew does see this stuff. The poor man's busier than a one legged man in a butt-kicking contest- so much of this goes unfixed because they can't triage it, can't analyze what the heck is actually broken on these unofficial bug reports.

Comment

maybe if they would release some extra testing tool to accompany fglrx, life would be easier (for them).

Comment

Working...
                    X