No announcement yet.

Not all Unhappy campers on ati

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But using onboard vga you could even use gpu accelleration already (using w7), so the diff between not working and working for video accelleration is very small...

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      means this agp-hd4650 is broken on all Operating Systems Linux/windowsXP/7
      the hd4650 is still supported by amd and you can buy this card as new in stores...
      "AGP is yesterday"
      yes sure...
      Actually, I have no problems on the hd4650 ON LINUX here, not that I'm ambitious. It's my recently decent (but now apparently crap) RS690 (rs600?) that's exercising my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by business_kid View Post
        It's my recently decent (but now apparently crap) RS690 (rs600?) that's exercising my mind.
        The rs600 and rs690 chips are different -- the 690 is designed for use with AMD CPUs via a HyperTransport link, while the 600 is designed for use with Intel CPUs. There are some other differences as well.

There are a lot of 690s out there and AFIAK they are pretty well supported these days, although you need to run r300g built with llvm support in order to get decent 3D performance on workloads which require a lot of vertex processing.

Are you running with an Intel or AMD CPU ?
        Test signature

Comment

Stinkin' edit limit.

The rs600 is pretty rare and has had much less developer attention -- I didn't think we sold any of them but a few turned up a couple of years ago.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            The rs600 and rs690 chips are different -- the 690 is designed for use with AMD CPUs via a HyperTransport link, while the 600 is designed for use with Intel CPUs. There are some other differences as well.
            There are a lot of 690s out there and AFIAK they are pretty well supported these days, although you need to run r300g built with llvm support in order to get decent 3D performance on workloads which require a lot of vertex processing.
            Are you running with an Intel or AMD CPU ?
            /much later
            It's definitely an RS690/SB600. Every time I think I know the GPU, someone corrects me. (It's history for a electronics hardware guy like me to be corrected on the part number of something I own for 2-3 years :-)
            It's an amd turion twincore (HP6715S), 667Mhz bus. I have got myself sorted to an extent by updating everything relevant to slackware-13.37 (xorg-server-1.9.5, mesa-7.9.2, xf86-video-ati-6.14.1) then I went for libdrm-2.4.25, pixman-0.21.8, llvm-2.9 and mesa-7.10.1, because slackware doesn't have llvm. Performance is much improved with the standard 13.37, I can't really measure, but the fullscreen stuff is a huge improvement.

If I change the xorg server, all the modules refuse to load over ABI Version nonsense. I'm up running with r300g & llvm support in Mesa anyhow, just unsure how to test it seeing as they whipped out glxgears. (It's not a test, but simply a comparison).

The hd4650 is happy in it's nappy there also on slackware-13.37 boasting of all the clever tricks it can pull, and the letters after it's name, etc., but the cpu in that box is a single core [email protected], so that's never going to be exercised too hard. I haven't bothered yet with llvm.

Comment

Originally posted by business_kid View Post
              The hd4650 is happy in it's nappy there also on slackware-13.37 boasting of all the clever tricks it can pull, and the letters after it's name, etc., but the cpu in that box is a single core [email protected], so that's never going to be exercised too hard. I haven't bothered yet with llvm.
              FWIW the 4650 does vertex processing in hardware so building with llvm shouldn't make a difference anyways.
              Test signature

Comment

I don't know why somebody would use xp 64 bit. That's most likely the worst 64 bit os you can use. But usually there should be no diff between 32 + 64 bit linux until you do something stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  I don't know why somebody would use xp 64 bit. That's most likely the worst 64 bit os you can use.
                  You know that comment is really outdated. After the first year of release and the drivers caught up it was fine.

Comment

You will not find a game that is tested with XP 64 bit - it may work however (or not). Usually 64 bit support for end users began with V, better to use 7. If you really want to use DX 10 then XP is wrong anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      You will not find a game that is tested with XP 64 bit - it may work however (or not). Usually 64 bit support for end users began with V, better to use 7. If you really want to use DX 10 then XP is wrong anyway.
                      Unless the game requires DX10+ I have yet to come across a game that didn't work just as well in XP64 vs V vs 7. The justified "XP 64 is in compatible" FUD fell by the wayside about a year after release. If V or 7 64-bit was released in 2005 the same type of comments would have been made about them. Remember how long it took for even linux software to slowly adapt to 64-bit? Hell even projects like XBMC's official stance up until about a year ago was "we support 32-bit only".

Comment

Working...
                      X