Wine Devs Have Mixed Feelings Over Direct3D In Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    But calling for Linux to be a graveyard of poorly implemented MS technologies just so kids can play their gamez without having to reboot is shite,...
    Linux doesn't have MS technology, it's just a kernel. If you don't want MS tech, don't use software that has it. Also, since when is D3D over G3D considered a poorly implemented technology?

As long as companies do not develop native applications, software on Linux will always be poor, will perform poorly, and will be unsupported and unimportant. No amount of faking Windows is going to change this.
    D3D over G3D is native. That's the whole point of the news.

WINE is a last resort, not the direction Linux should be heading in. Screw Windows, screw .Net, screw MS Office formats, screw Silverlight, screw Direct3d. As soon as you make any of this work (poorly), they will introduce a new technology which won't work, and everybody will switch to that. They've been doing this shit for 15 years, and you're still falling for it.

Open standards, and open source whenever possible.
    Partly agree with you here, but we lack a better alternative to D3D. And it's not easy to just change D3D to screw us, we just have to implement the new bits they add to the API... Should be easy enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
      This.

Seriously. Having D3Dwhatever on Linux won't do anything, much like WINE hasn't done anything. Having the option is always welcomed, but in the end it's more harm than good.
      Please do elaborate. Why is it more harm than good?

Comment

If I understood it right, you no longer have to port whole game to OpenGL
        From game developer perspective it should make life much more simpler.

Comment

Originally posted by alec View Post
          From game developer perspective it should make life much more simpler.
          So its all good

Comment

Originally posted by alec View Post
            From game developer perspective it should make life a bit more simpler.
            Maybe rather something like that?

Comment

Still, given that Linux moves so fast; I still think that it needs to have an industry standard abstraction layer like Wine, but then for Linux libraries on Linux.

What do I mean by that? Well; have some Linux standards group decide what binaries are standard for a year and then create a layer that works like a parser to translate it to current libraries.

For example if some game studio developped for an OSS lib and then ALSA comes around (note: for example) then this Linux_Wine_Linux app loads up the app and parses the calls to the current ALSA libs.

It's only then, when the industry as a whole agrees on using the standard versions, that Linux can become just as viable as Windows from a binary compatibility standpoint.

Just saying...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Still, given that Linux moves so fast; I still think that it needs to have an industry standard abstraction layer like Wine, but then for Linux libraries on Linux.

What do I mean by that? Well; have some Linux standards group decide what binaries are standard for a year and then create a layer that works like a parser to translate it to current libraries.

For example if some game studio developped for an OSS lib and then ALSA comes around (note: for example) then this Linux_Wine_Linux app loads up the app and parses the calls to the current ALSA libs.

It's only then, when the industry as a whole agrees on using the standard versions, that Linux can become just as viable as Windows from a binary compatibility standpoint.

Just saying...
                That's what the LSB and the various compatibility layers do (like alsa-oss and vice versa).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
                  That's what the LSB and the various compatibility layers do (like alsa-oss and vice versa).
                  And the industry doesn't agrees on this as a whole. Instead we get the shit we get today.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    And the industry doesn't agrees on this as a whole. Instead we get the shit we get today.
                    Eh? The game industry doesn't care one way or another. Other industries seems to be agreeing just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
                      You seem to be on a anti-microsoft-related-software movement for no reason at all. Having D3D support is a major milestone for running most MS Windows games on linux, which should slowly attract new users to linux or even allow developers to develop D3D apps without booting into windows to test.

Anyway, if D3D is that much of a problem why doesn't someone (like Khronos) come up with a new API that is comparable to D3D in terms of cleanness, power and ease of use? In all honesty I think few developers prefer OGL's design to D3D's... But I'd welcome something new as well, OGL is a 90's bloated API that is flawed by design (no OOP, not easy to use multiple devices, not easy to multithread..)
                      If you took your head out of your ass, you would realize that MS implements things for no purpose EXCEPT to lock you into their platform. There is no reason to support their nonsense, especially when there is no BENEFIT.

Comment

Working...
                      X