ATI card problem, driving me insane!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, at least it works, right?

Do you have any indication what's hanging when you log out? Can you still ssh into the machine, is there something in dmesg or Xorg.0.log, ..?

you could try (as per the bug report)
    if that doesn't work, try recompiling your kernel with CONFIG_VGA_ARB
    disabled
    That should get rid of the arbiter for good. It's a bit cleaner than just deleting the /dev/ node, but if you aren't comfortable compiling your own kernel I wouldn't bother.

Comment

Yeah, kinda! :-)

Bit the bullet and reinstalled Catalyst 10.6 to sort the screen layout, it works but won't let me run Xinerama which is an utter ball ache over four screens! When Xinerama is enabled I lose the mouse when I move it from one screen to another, followed as usual by a complete system hang...

The log gives me the same fault as the bug report,

(II) UnloadModule: "evdev"
      (II) fglrx(0): Interrupt handler Shutdown.
      Segmentation fault at address 0x426d6f72

Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting

This isn't a problem as I don't intend every shutting the computer down once I get the screens right!! I'm sure the Catalyst mouse problem is something to do with the fourth screen being a different size and resolution to the rest. Time to disable to offending screen methinks...

Comment

Are you enabling Xinerama in the aticonfig parameters ? I don't know a lot about the nuances of aticonfig but I do remember that the sample aticonfig lines Matthew provided mentioned Xinerama.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Are you enabling Xinerama in the aticonfig parameters ? I don't know a lot about the nuances of aticonfig but I do remember that the sample aticonfig lines Matthew provided mentioned Xinerama.
          I've been using amdcccle to arrange the screens and parameters, including Xinerama. Just in the process of un-installing, purging then reinstalling fglrx to see if it helps!

Comment

One clean installation and I'm nearly there. I'm using three of the four screens with fglrx, one on it's own as a single window, the other two set up to work together as a multidisplay using amdcccle.

Believe it or not, I had to manually swap the DVI cables around to get the multidisplay order right! Using amdccle to move the monitors resulted in a machine crash when the mouse moved between screens...

Comment

Originally posted by carlsalter View Post
              Believe it or not, I had to manually swap the DVI cables around to get the multidisplay order right!
              Ah yes, I've had similar fun with a simple dual-screen setup back on nvidia. DVI-0 had to be the left screen, otherwise funky things started to happen.
              I don't know why this kind of things happen, but at least they can be worked around.. if you happen to have the right idea

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
                Ah yes, I've had similar fun with a simple dual-screen setup back on nvidia. DVI-0 had to be the left screen, otherwise funky things started to happen.
                I don't know why this kind of things happen, but at least they can be worked around.. if you happen to have the right idea
                I've spent 12 years in IT trying to explain to people that if computers did what they were supposed to do then I'd be out of a job, having to swap cables around to get the job done is a perfect example!!

Comment

Hi all, 10.7 got my multi screen setup working nicely but has introduced some funky artifacts when moving or switching windows. I get individual panes blanked out black!

I've read about problems like this with Firefox & Thunderbird and saw some fixes about changing 2D acceleration but these seem to apply to older driver versions. I also get the blank windows etc in all applications.

Would the older fixes also apply to 10.7?

Eg - aticonfig --set-pcs-str=DDX,ForceXAA,TRUE

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                  X