Catalyst 10.1 and Xorg 7.5 / 1.7.x?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Some of the newer boards seem to have fine grained voltage control (not sure if that's what our PM code uses though)
    I don't know about other boards. But with the 5750 I got fglrx switches between 3 performance levels. With a Vddc of 950mV for the lowest performance level to 1100mV for the highest performance level.

Comment

I managed to get the radeon driver running. However, I get this:

(WW) RADEON(0): Option "ForceLowPowerMode" is not used

Comment

Sounds like the driver might be too old, or is running with KMS.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Sounds like the driver might be too old, or is running with KMS.
          Yes, I managed to enable KMS. I don't need it, but DRI2 needs it, and without DRI2, OpenGL is useless with a composited desktop (flicker and graphics corruption due to "non-unredirected direct rendering", much like fglrx a year or two ago.)

Can't you guys put the 2D part of radeon into fglrx so that we can have a driver that doesn't suck?

Anyway, from what I can see, the OSS driver stack seems to have a long way to go before becoming useful. I hope it will be there by 2012 (where, according to popular belief, the world might end.)

Edit:
          I disabled KMS and ForceLowPowerMode worked. However, scrolling in Firefox is slow and sluggish now. Oh the joy...
          Last edited by RealNC; 17 January 2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

RealNC: Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but did you say if there's a difference between fan speed in Linux and Windows (when under full load for extended periods of time)? If there's no difference in fan speed, then your card should eventually get 'hamburger hot' in Windows too, no?

The OSS driver is awesome for me. It runs Compiz smoothly, unlike fglrx. I don't have issues with UMS, except maybe some slow scrolling in Firefox when running KDE (not my DE of choice anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
              RealNC: Sorry if I missed it in the thread, but did you say if there's a difference between fan speed in Linux and Windows (when under full load for extended periods of time)? If there's no difference in fan speed, then your card should eventually get 'hamburger hot' in Windows too, no?
              Windows does not have open source drivers, so I'm not sure what you're asking.

Comment

Am I right that the current linux catalyst doesnt support the Mobility HD 5xxx series yet?

Comment

I think there will be a new release in a few days. Probably before the weekend.

Comment

I have a 5770 and Debian has upgraded the X.Org to 7.5 (great!).

Where do you check guys the status of the new fglrx drivers? I mean, I was checking out the forums and I didn't find anything about 10.2/3.

Also, where can i check the status of the OSS drivers? (mailing list maybe?) I want to know how is the development of the R800 support.

Do you think it will have a "quick" solution? Right now I'm with VESA, and this is not the best option for my work.... I'm thinking seriously go to nVidia.

Comment

The xorg wiki has some pages which try to reflect current open source driver status :

The 10.2 and 10.3 fglrx drivers don't exist yet unless you have a time machine; they are the Feb 2010 and Mar 2010 drivers respectively.

The release notes for the latest released fglrx drivers (currently 9.12 but 10.1 should be out real soon) are your best source of info; I'm hoping we can add some similar "snapshot" information about what is supported in the future rather than just listing the deltas from previous releases.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X