AMD Catalyst 9.12 Hotfix released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by barbarbaron View Post
    And just have a look at how many forum entries are there in phoronix driver forums:

25540 posts in closed source AMD sorta driver forum. Most of them nonsense verbiage by AMD forum employees as the one above.

3436 posts in proper and working nVidia linux driver forum.

And why is this huge difference? Simply because the driver provided by nVidia works. Painless computing and the support YOU paid for.
    Again, if you want a valid comparison you should probably include the corresponding nvnews thread counts, since that's where the NVidia folks hang out. The NVidia Linux forum has 23,433 threads (so maybe 250,000 posts) vs a few thousand for all other graphics vendors.

You can include the AMD forums as well if you like, but we don't maintain a forum for drivers there and tend to encourage people to post here for Linux issues instead, so the numbers are pretty small.

[/NonsenseVerbiage], I guess
    Last edited by bridgman; 04 January 2010, 02:21 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Nonsense Verbiage, I guess
      Congratulations your guess is true. First and foremost nvnews was founded in 1998 and phoronix in 2004. If you compare nvnews with phoronix forums then its obviously nonsense verbiage.

And people who can't get enough support from their hardware vendor comes to phoronix driver forums for help. The name is nvnews and that forum has a much more general concept than phoronix driver forums. It is NOT a driver problems only forum.
      Last edited by barbarbaron; 04 January 2010, 09:53 PM.

Comment

The name is nvnews and that forum has a much more general concept than phoronix driver forums. It is NOT a driver problems only forum.
        Maybe we are looking at different forums - sounds like you are talking about nvnews as a whole ? I was counting only activity in the "NVidia Linux" forum, and the threads there do appear to be primarily driver-related, since there are other forums for both hardware and general Linux issues.

Take a look :

Because people who can't get enough support from their hardware vendor comes to phoronix driver forums for help.
        Sorry if I wasn't clear. My point (and probably Melcar's as well) was that people who can't get enough support from NVidia are likely to go to the nvnews NVidia Linux forums for help, not just to the phoronix driver forums.
        Last edited by bridgman; 04 January 2010, 03:02 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

who can't get enough support from NVidia are likely to go to the nvnews NVidia Linux forums for help
          Not true. You can find all types of entries there from games that don't work because of a non-driver related problem, discussions about linux graphics workstations (in which AMD has nothing to do because of their bad support) to discussions about hardware and software (games, 3d software) that will come to linux environment.

Plus nvnews was founded in 1998 and phoronix in 2004. So its normal that it has more threads.

But do continue to distort the subject, it will make people better understand your verbiage
          Last edited by barbarbaron; 04 January 2010, 09:50 PM.

Comment

I looked through the first 4 pages and roughly 96 of 104 threads were driver related based on the title. I didn't read every thread so I'm not counting misleading subject lines and threads that drift onto other topics, but I expect that would not substantially affect the breakdown anyways.

As you say, there are discussions about other things in the forum but the bulk of them do seem to be driver-related.

In what way do you feel I am "distorting the subject" ?
            Last edited by bridgman; 04 January 2010, 03:43 PM.
            Test signature

Comment

and your favorite ati hd 5 cards still only work with vesa driver on latest fedora and next ubuntu as no binary driver is installable. open specs or not, this does not help you at all when you want to use those distributions NOW and not next year.

Comment

In defense of AMD, they actually make new cards. From what I've heard Nvidia just renames old stuff, so adding support for their 'new' cards in their blob is probably just a matter of adding a pci id to the driver.
                Last edited by monraaf; 04 January 2010, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  the only diverence for a enduser like me is Video-acceleration....

but nvidia does not support my codexes like ogg:theora or Dirac or Xvid

only supports codexes i do not use like mpeg2 or h264......

in the end the viedeo acceleration is for adobe:flash only and really only for DRM Copy-protection.
                  VDPAU does support Xvid acceleration and there has been Cuda accelerated Dirac for ages now. As well mpeg2 and h264 are the backbone of over the air DRM free digital video.
                  Last edited by deanjo; 04 January 2010, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Did you really watch XVID/DIVX over vdpau once? I would not consider that working...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      Did you really watch XVID/DIVX over vdpau once? I would not consider that working...
                      Works fine on a GT210 on XBMC.

Comment

Working...
                      X