No announcement yet.

Linux 2.6.33-rc1 Kernel Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well when you benchmark the compile time bfs is usally a bit faster.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Maybe so. Never tested it. Qt takes quite a while to compile Based on the results of kernel compile times posted by Con, I'd gauge that I could potentially save anywhere from 0 to 1 minute. Here's to that extra minute goofing off I will trust mainline a little more for stability, whether it's there or not. I thank Con for his hard work, it seems to me BFS made a difference and served it's purpose very well. And perhaps, BFS's work is not yet complete. We shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
        ...Also where is reiser4 . I want to see Linus bitching for reiser4 inclusion on next widow merge like he did with nouveau...
        I'm glad that kernel developers are focused on improving btrfs and there is no Linus' bitching required to push it!
        Regarding reiser4. I used to use it. Very efficient and decent fs but since it's not developed anymore (?) and as far as I know it didn't approach the stage to be called stable, I don't think Linus would like to include that 'dead' project in the kernel.
        Last edited by trapDoor; 18 December 2009, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skirst View Post
          It seems Con has made his point. I agree (based on my experience), there is no need for BFS in mainline at this point.
          That's it.

@Kano

Yes, but it suffer in other things like big drop in fps when playing games and listening to the music same time (at least version I tried).

Comment

I seem to get 2.6.33-rc1 from ubuntu's mainline kernel failing to boot into gdm ...

Comment

Originally posted by hmmm View Post
              I seem to get 2.6.33-rc1 from ubuntu's mainline kernel failing to boot into gdm ...
              If You have ATI r600 or r700 put /lib/firmware/2.6.33-999-generic/radeon/R600_rlc.bin or /lib/firmware/2.6.33-999-generic/radeon/R700_rlc.bin in place... It did not work for me either (with KMS forced) before that either. Witout KMS it worked. (ATI HD3650).

Comment

Did they fix the eternal low responsiveness when doing IO already?

I'm getting so fed up with it, and there's no kernel maintainer who's addressing this bug.

Binary package hint: linux-source-2.6.22 When compared with 2.6.15 in feisty, heavy disk I/O causes increased iowait times and affects desktop responsiveness in 2.6.22 this appears to be a regression from 2.6.15 where iowait is much lower and desktop responsiveness is unaffected with the same I/O load Easy to reproduce with tracker - index the same set of files with 2.6.15 kernel and 2.6.22 kernel and the difference in desktop responsiveness is massive I have not confirmed if a non-tracke...

Can someone with mainstream hardware (sata; dual-core, 2GB) perform a read test with tiobench 64MB and 32 threads, and still open iotop and use firefox in a usable manner?

Comment

Best distribution for kernel testing?

What is the preferred distribution to use for testing new kernels?

Comment

Indeed, I compiled the kernel source as I always do and this time at reboot, I was requested a firmware or something.
                    I thought they were compiled in the kernel, weren't they?
                    Last edited by rvdboom; 18 December 2009, 03:59 PM.

Comment

All new microcode is going into the /lib/firmware folder for distribution rather than being built directly into the kernel. I believe the latest microcode file (rlc) needs to go into the initrd so that drm can find it at boot.

It is still possible to build the firmware into the kernel yourself (ie on your own system) but I think the overall direction for the kernel is increased use of lib/firmware and initrd.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 18 December 2009, 04:28 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X