No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 9.9 Released !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the arguments against a static ABI is that it forces developers to update drivers that any ABI changes break. So most in-kernel drivers should be fine - outside of that though, and it's up to the driver devs to keep up to date with new software. But of course that's the beauty of open source - you can change it yourself if it doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by mirv View Post
      One of the arguments against a static ABI is that it forces developers to update drivers that any ABI changes break.
      Information flow could potentially be better though even with current system. As it is, it's possible out-of-tree developers won't even know of the changes before the new kernel version is already out and end-users complain things don't work anymore. It's easy to say though that it should be better; I can't immediately think of any simple way to do it in the current system.

Comment

Fix for hardware cursor?

Originally posted by Technojunkie View Post
        Yup. 64-bit F11, Radeon HD 3200 integrated here. I was running 9.8 with the fix to allow hardware cursor previously, if that makes a difference. Too soon to comment on stability. Kernel 2.6.30.5-43.fc11.x86_64.
        Could you please send a pointer to this fix?

Thanks,

(sorry for late post)

Comment

Just installed. 9.9 results in a visible regression in 2d performance under Compiz (for example when scrolling Opera or Firefox). The 9.10 beta also suffers from this.

9.8 on the other hand, offers the best 2d performance I have ever seen from fglrx so far.

Comment

fglrx 9-9 is really bad when you try to watch full hd with mplayer. using gl/gl2 then it stopps after a few seconds for a short time, raising cpu usage to 100% at this point. xv is faster but without vsync, so basically unwatchable. radeon oss driver can handle xv for full hd content just fine. why is fglrx so EXTREMELY bad with xv? nvidia with vdpau is the best with that but with a fast cpu at least xv is needed. opengl is no valid choice.
            Last edited by Kano; 17 September 2009, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Anyone with Karmic care to test if the 9.10 beta has xv vsync?

Originally posted by Alberto Milone
              Can you see if you can still reproduce the problem with the latest driver in Ubuntu Karmic, please?

[Source]

Comment

It seem you believe in miracles.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  It seem you believe in miracles.
                  Heh, if radeon can do it fglrx can too. It's a matter of when, rather than if.

I'm not that optimistic for 9.10 myself - just forwarding what the Ubuntu devs are asking. I'd test this myself but latest Karmic daily doesn't boot on my system (grub2 "boot error" message with no indication as to the cause).

Comment

Been noticing this
                    Code:
                    [fglrx:fireglAsyncioIntEnableMsgHandler] *ERROR* interrupt source ff000066 is not supported on this hardware (return code = 1)
                    showing up with catalyst 9.9

looks like it's an outstanding one:
                    [ 69.478362] [fglrx:fireglAsyncioIntEnableMsgHandler] *ERROR* interrupt source ff000066 is not supported on this hardware (return code = 1) [ 69.810350] [fglrx] CMM init INV FB MC:0xd0000000, length:0x30000000 [ 69.810359] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Shared offset:0, size:1000000 [ 69.810360] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:ff77000, size:88000 Don't known if this is fatal or not, never seem this before. [lspci] 00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/G...

[EDIT]
                    *surprise*
                    [/EDIT]

[EDIT2]
                    I seriously hope that what's left of AMD management is seriously considering poaching nVidia driver staff...
                    [/EDIT2]
                    Last edited by cutterjohn; 23 September 2009, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Also ran into another bug that according to launchpad is catalyst driver related. In this case the notebook thrashes severely on wake from sleep(to the point of being almost entirely responsive in one case).

The launchpad bug entry indicates that this is a regression with 9.9 as it, apparently, appeared with older drivers at times as well. One user stated that installing the karmic early release 9.10 solved the problem for him.

I just hope that this doesn't appear with the final 9.10 release as well.

launchpad bug entry:
                      After resuming from suspend, hard disk activity goes crazy, and the machine is very unresponsive. Looking at what is happening in htop, it seems that the system is moving many pages to swap -- I can see swap usage increasing several Mb/second, and resident memory usage decreasing similarly. I have 3 Gb physical memory, 9 Gb swap, and in my normal usage, 'free' often reports zero usage of swap - everything fits comfortably in RAM. So I cannot see any reason why the system would need to do t...

[EDIT=much later, 10/12/09]
                      I'm going to chalk this one up to a kernel update problem or some other system lib as it appears to have disappeared for me now that I've gone through several update cycles, i.e. hasn't happened to me in quite some time now...
                      [/EDIT]
                      Last edited by cutterjohn; 12 October 2009, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X