Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel module not recognising Radeon HD 3870

Hi.

I just upgraded my kernel from linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r8 to linux-2.6.29-gentoo-r5. It seems the radeon kernel module no longer detects my Radeon HD 3870.

After
    # modprobe -r radeon
    # modprobe -r drm
    # modprobe radeon

The last lines of dmesg are
    [drm] Module unloaded
    [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810

Nothing about "[drm] Initialized radeon ..."

I guess the problem is some kernel config, but which? I noticed I had some error messages in dmesg concerning mtrr registers, but these went away after disabling "x86 PAT support" (under Processor type and features). Still no DRM though.

(Xorg.0.log says "(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM".)

I don't think any stock kernel radeon/drm modules supported R6xx/r7xx until 2.6.30, so if gentoo 2.6.27 worked they must have built the modules from one of the 6xx/7xx drm branches.

Maybe there is a "gentoo way" to do the same for the 2.6.29, if not then you could try building your own.

Comment

Works fine with vanilla 2.6.30.1. I probably compiled my own updated drm and radeon modules for my old kernel and forgot about it. Thanks, legume!

Comment

Originally posted by legume View Post
        Maybe there is a "gentoo way" to do the same for the 2.6.29, if not then you could try building your own.
        Considering the Gentoo way means compiling your own kernels, probably not much sense compiling just DRM if it's in an upstream release anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X