Ubuntu packages for radeon-rewrite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tormod View Post
    Since radeon-rewrite is supposed to replace the stock mesa, it should work as well with your current setups as the old mesa. Otherwise it is a bug. Newer kernel, driver, drm is not necessary, but is suggested for testing since some bugs might have been fixed there.

But in the first place, just installing these mesa-packages should be enough.
    For me Jaunty packages for x1400 card are way too unstable so they are no go. But self compiled git versions run stable with mesa 7.4 git version so maybe it would work well with radeon-rewrite but I haven't had chance test yet. (That r500 card isn't in my machine so I can only sometimes use it for testing)

Comment

Hey tormod

So on your PPA, it states:
      You might want to combine them with:
      - the latest -ati/-radeon packages from https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive/ppa
      - Karmic kernel from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/
      - other packages from https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/+archive/ppa

The latest ati/radeon packages from there make sense. If you're r5xx or below, grab the tormod ATI, if you're above, grab the radeonHD tormod package.

The Karmic kernel also makes sense.

But what do you mean by "other packages" from xorg-edgers. Which packages from there are we to pull for testing?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fermulator View Post
        Which packages from there are we to pull for testing?

Thanks!
        Just the latest DRM snapshot.

Comment

Originally posted by poofyyoda View Post
          Just the latest DRM snapshot.
          And which packages from that? There seem to be only libdrm versions for Intel und Nouveau.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormking View Post
            And which packages from that? There seem to be only libdrm versions for Intel und Nouveau.
            libdrm2. I changed the PPA page a bit to avoid confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
              libdrm2. I changed the PPA page a bit to avoid confusion.
              Okay, so I install radeon-rewrite, the X.org-Driver and libdrm2. Anything else? Config files to modify? Is the new kernel necessary? And what can I expect, more speed?

Comment

If you're running with a drm and X driver which support KMS and memory management then you'll get DRI2 and Redirected Direct Rendering, ie your 3D apps will be properly composited and won't flicker any more. You should also get early FBO support.

If you're running with regular kernel and xorg driver then you're basically getting the refactored 3D code which is going to go into master once airlied gets back from vacation. Probably not fundamentally faster but the devs have started to push complicated fixes into radeon-rewrite rather than the existing master tree so you'll pick up some fixes and I believe a resolution for the performance regression on non-TCL 3xx GPUs (Xpress 200, X1250 etc..).
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  If you're running with a drm and X driver which support KMS and memory management then you'll get DRI2 and Redirected Direct Rendering, ie your 3D apps will be properly composited and won't flicker any more. You should also get early FBO support.

If you're running with regular kernel and xorg driver then you're basically getting the refactored 3D code which is going to go into master once airlied gets back from vacation. Probably not fundamentally faster but the devs have started to push complicated fixes into radeon-rewrite rather than the existing master tree so you'll pick up some fixes and I believe a resolution for the performance regression on non-TCL 3xx GPUs (Xpress 200, X1250 etc..).
                  Right now, I am using the radeon-rewrite Mesa with the regular Jaunty kernel and the latest X.org driver from Tormod Volden's PPA.

I'd like to try out the latest drm kernel module because it was mentioned that many user had far less lockups/freezes with that. I'm not afraid to try out DRI2 and so on. But it would be great to be able to "upgrade" step by step.

So the "karmic" kernel gives me the latest drm, I guess. And that can be combined with both old DRI and DRI2? And the radeon-rewrite-branch of Mesa will also work with both? As does the X.org driver?

Comment

Originally posted by Stormking View Post
                    Right now, I am using the radeon-rewrite Mesa with the regular Jaunty kernel and the latest X.org driver from Tormod Volden's PPA.

I'd like to try out the latest drm kernel module because it was mentioned that many user had far less lockups/freezes with that. I'm not afraid to try out DRI2 and so on. But it would be great to be able to "upgrade" step by step.

So the "karmic" kernel gives me the latest drm, I guess. And that can be combined with both old DRI and DRI2? And the radeon-rewrite-branch of Mesa will also work with both? As does the X.org driver?
                    Karmic's kernel (when did the releases of Ubuntu turn persons?) doesn't support KMS or DRI2. So you have to compile kernel your self if you want KMS support.

Comment

I've used all the additional stuff (compiled the kernel 2.6.30-4.5 from that karmic link, basically didn't touch the config tho).

Everything works fine, except e.g: glxgears. I get them going and my FPS is "good" (for the OSS driver) but when I move the window the old gl contents remain as if an image (compiz effects are on in gnome).

Also, how can I know if KMS and DRI2 are used? Do I need a different kernel source to build from?

Comment

Working...
                      X