Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    <snip>
    Realistically, I think the open source drivers will probably become that "simpler option" for older/weaker cards running under a compositor.
    <snip>
    Yep, I hope so. And that's not a bad solution at all, considering that documentation is available and progress seems to be good.

Comment

Originally posted by elsie View Post
      Has anyone else experienced X crashing/system freezes with XV video playback?
      Crashes computer everytime I go fullscreen.
      Same here... hard crash when I take an XV video to fullscreen.

Comment

I'm getting a hard crash when turning compiz off... Usually I do this to start up a game, so it is quite a PITA right now.

Comment

rotarychainsaw, if you "unredirect fullscreen windows" in the Compiz options then run your game fullscreen *without* stopping Compiz do you still get the crash ?
          Test signature

Comment

No I can run the games with compiz on, its just that I have noticed that I usually take a FPS hit (which shouldn't happen I would think). Also issues with compiz and fullscreen windows when a notification bubble pops up and stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by rotarychainsaw View Post
              I'm getting a hard crash when turning compiz off... Usually I do this to start up a game, so it is quite a PITA right now.
              I'm getting that as well though not 100% of the time but close to.
              Also happens when I want to drop back to a VT or switch to one, again not 100% but close to.

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
                The FPS increase is unreliable, at times it will drop from 80 to 15 for no obvious reason.
                It seems this occurs from enabling AA ingame, turning AA off, things have smoothed out again.

Comment

Originally posted by elsie View Post
                  Has anyone else experienced X crashing/system freezes with XV video playback?
                  Crashes computer everytime I go fullscreen. This happened to me on 9.1 and 9.2.
                  Doesn't make a difference if compiz is enabled, either way computer crashes every time I play a video.
                  I'm using ubuntu 8.04 and x1600 mobile.
                  I also get hard crashes when watching a fullscreen vid, but only when compiz is enabled though. In this regard, the recent improvements haven't really really improved anything for me at all: when I was using fglrx 8.10, videoplayback would flicker when using compiz, so I would turn it off then too. The main difference is that it didn't used to lock up, so right now, one mistake (forgetting to turn off compiz when watching a video) and it's off to rebootland...
                  I'm using a Radeon HD4870 with 1 GB of GDDR5 on Ubuntu Intrepid AMD64 here.

I'm also wondering (q for the AMD devvers): once Gallium3D goes stable in Mesa, will fglrx be switching to support it (and DRI2, etc etc) instead of the old driver arch? and if so, what time do you guys see youselves involving yourselves with it?

Comment

JeanPaul145, same question; do you have "unredirect fullscreen windows" checked ? Could you try both settings (checked, unchecked) ?

We moved our OpenGL driver onto an architecture similar to Gallium3D a couple of years ago (based around our proprietary IL rather than TGSI), so no plans to change there.

On the open source side we plan to jump across to Gallium3D pretty soon, but we want to get the "classic mesa" implementation running at 5xx level first. That code will be needed for distros which aren't running with DRI2, KMS and GEM; KMS is coming along well but it will be at least a year before all the major distros move over to use it.

We could implement a Gallium3D-based Mesa that didn`t need DRI2 and GEM, of course, but nobody seems to think that would be a good use of time.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 22 February 2009, 12:31 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Moronix View Post
                      There is Xv flicker without composite on older cards. It's unusual and happens with cpu spikes more. Xv implementation is extremely wobbly on that hardware. In fact, with composite on said cards, Xv won't even show so it's moot.
                      Xv should be flicker-free and tear-free with radeon these days. I`m hoping you`re talking about fglrx re: flicker...

Originally posted by Moronix View Post
                      I'm talking about things like the older Xpress series which worse yet doesn't seem like radeonhd will support properly.
                      It`s not a matter of `supporting it properly`, there are no plans to support pre-5xx in radeonhd at all. The modesetting hardware is completely different on the older chips, and nobody sees any benefit to porting the pre-5xx modesetting and acceleration code across from radeon.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X