Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theviper View Post
    This worked fine for me until 9.2.

Same here on a 780G chipset (Gigabyte Mobo).

The 9.2 drivers appear to be rather stable, but underscan is just plain bullshit on LCD displays.
    Without underscan you would have as well a lot of people complaining that they can't see the whole desktop, because almost all HD TVs are overscanning by default, until you disable pixel per pixel mode.

so also many people will keep a display who looks like shit, because of overscan by tv+underscan of the video card

Comment

Originally posted by mirak63 View Post
      Without underscan you would have as well a lot of people complaining that they can't see the whole desktop, because almost all HD TVs are overscanning by default, until you disable pixel per pixel mode.

so also many people will keep a display who looks like shit, because of overscan by tv+underscan of the video card
      My TV has pixel per pixel 1080p.

Even if there MIGHT be reasons for over-/underscanning .. why is there no fucking option to turn it off.

Comment

Even if there MIGHT be reasons for over-/underscanning .. why is there no fucking option to turn it off.
        I disagree !! If there is no option to turn it off, then, there shouldn't be a downscaling at all. ( sorry )

I mean anyaway, which noob will install linux with an ATI card ?
        It will not work anyway or work like shit, so why bothering ...

Comment

Yeah, that is the real issue. The default underscan is probably a good idea (and will be until relatively more of the HD TVs stop being shipped with default overscan), but there seem to be problems with turning the underscan off, and that's what we need to address.
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Yeah, that is the real issue. The default underscan is probably a good idea (and will be until relatively more of the HD TVs stop being shipped with default overscan), but there seem to be problems with turning the underscan off, and that's what we need to address.
            the overscan on the TV is a part of the spefication I think
            I don't see the point of default overscan on TVs, since 1080p is 1920x1080 and that the TV display really have 1920x1080, and that upscaling the image create a loss of quality.

On some channel I had one garbage line at the top, but the problem is the encoding then

Comment

Ideally I guess the TVs would default to overscan with analog TV inputs but pixel-accurate scan with digital TV or HDMI inputs.
              Test signature

Comment

With Catalyst 9.2 it doesn't work as well.
                Anyway it doesnt work at all :

With Kde 4.2, my desktop is so slow that i cant imagine how slower it could be and it's really unusable.
                If i start a Kde 4.2 failsafe session, everything is fine, except the classics bugs (amdccle wich doesn't want to launch, no 3D, and always some tearings in my videos )
                In a way, i can say that 9.2 is worse than 9.1 (or maybe it's KDE 4).
                I'm quite tired of all this mess, i will use the radeonhd driver by now and use windows to watch videos and play on my TV screen.

++

Bibi

Comment

Originally posted by bibi View Post
                  With Catalyst 9.2 it doesn't work as well.
                  Anyway it doesnt work at all :

With Kde 4.2, my desktop is so slow that i cant imagine how slower it could be and it's really unusable.
                  If i start a Kde 4.2 failsafe session, everything is fine, except the classics bugs (amdccle wich doesn't want to launch, no 3D, and always some tearings in my videos )
                  In a way, i can say that 9.2 is worse than 9.1 (or maybe it's KDE 4).
                  I'm quite tired of all this mess, i will use the radeonhd driver by now and use windows to watch videos and play on my TV screen.

++

Bibi
                  since I have windows that's what I did, though at first I used a 6600gt in the other pciexpress slot, but now it's in another computer.

Comment

Working...
                  X